Upgrade to VSS requirement

Unanswered Question
Oct 20th, 2010
User Badges:

Greeting all

I`d like to have more idea for the upgrade to VSS

I actually have 4 chassis 6509 and one of them is the enhanced version

I`m actually having the supervisor Supervisor Engine 720   WS-SUP720-BASE on all my chassis

So to integrate VSS i need the following:

VS-S720-10G-3C/XL for

DFC distributed forwarding card for my WS-X6748/24

DFC3C is only supported for WS-X6700 line card

Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(33)SXH1 or later

Is it all what i need to upgrade to VSS, and actually i can`t find it anywhere in Cisco Doc but can i have a mix between Enhanced and non-enhanced Chassis i know that i can mix the chassis but for the E i can`t find it anywhere in the cisco site.

Thanks

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jon Marshall Wed, 10/20/2010 - 09:32
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

Seifeddine-Tlili wrote:

Greeting all

I`d like to have more idea for the upgrade to VSS

I actually have 4 chassis 6509 and one of them is the enhanced version

I`m actually having the supervisor Supervisor Engine 720   WS-SUP720-BASE on all my chassis

So to integrate VSS i need the following:

VS-S720-10G-3C/XL for

DFC distributed forwarding card for my WS-X6748/24

DFC3C is only supported for WS-X6700 line card

Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2(33)SXH1 or later

Is it all what i need to upgrade to VSS, and actually i can`t find it anywhere in Cisco Doc but can i have a mix between Enhanced and non-enhanced Chassis i know that i can mix the chassis but for the E i can`t find it anywhere in the cisco site.

Thanks

Have a look at table 1 from the VSS Q&A -

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps9336/prod_qas0900aecd806ed74b_ps2797_Products_Q_and_A_Item.html

this answers your questions. Note you don't have to have DFC you can use CFC but if you do use DFCs they need to be DFC3 or DFC3XL.

VSS is supported on both E and non E chassis although there are some limitations, again Table 1 above lists them.

Also note that Cisco recommend the VSL link should be formed not just using the supervisor 10Gbps port but also 10Gbps ports from a linecard so it is recommended you get a 10Gbps line card (not the 6704 because it doesn't support the VSL link). Again the doc above covers this.

Jon

Actions

This Discussion