Views
Helpful
Replies

MGCP gateway is not registering

alalli
Level 2
Level 2

Good Day All,

I have configured a VG224 GW with CM4.2 and it does not seem to be registering.

The configurationis pretty stock/standard.

I double checked the host name with call manager and they match.

I have provided a copy of the router config minus passwords, aaa, line ports, etc and a copy of debug mgcp events.

If anyone has any ideas, they are much appreciated.

Regards,

Amanda

6 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There isn't enough information to troubleshoot this.  Can you run 'debug mgcp packet' and get a detailed CM trace off the .11 node during a registration attempt?  MGCP event debug is very verbose (too verbose to send to the terminal monitor), and doesn't show the packets to CM.  you're better off debugging to the logging buffer ('logging buffered 7' and then 'sh log'). A screenshot off the CM page would help, too.  Did you click 'reset gateway' in CM after adding it?  And what is the output of 'sh ccm'?

It may also be of benefit for you to initially configure config server on the VG until it registers.  Once your registered, feel free to remove the config server and save the config, though:

ccm config server 10.1.10.11

ccm config

no mgcp mgcp

-Steve

View solution in original post

Hi Amanda,

There is one more thing that comes to mind that we have seen cause this behavior - where the device appears registered in sh ccm - try changing the VG224 hostname to something short and simple and see if it registers.

HTH,

Art

TFTP isn't an issue since it is getting the config.  It technically doesn't need the config for it to register, anyway.  Can you ping 10.1.10.11 from the gateway?

'debug mgcp all' is WAY too verbose to send to the terminal when debugging, and you'll drop tons of output when doing that.

Enable just:

debug mgcp pack

debug ip tcp trans

debug ip udop

debug ip icmp

Collect those via:

Router(config)# service sequence
Router(config)# service timestamps debug datetime msec
Router(config)# logging buffered 10000000 7
Router(config)# no logging con
Router(config)# no logging mon
Router(config)# voice iec syslog

Router# term len 0

Router# sh logg

Get those in parallel with detailed CM traces.

Tracy, the ccm-manager config is for generating auto config, later it's not needed anymore.

Amanda, try adding a domain name to your voice gateway, and on the call manager side, register it with hostname.domainname

Hopefully that should help, and if it does, please rate.

cheers.

Hi,

Is the end-point configured? because it's the end point that gets registered to the Call Manager.

techguy, thanks! i wasnt aware of that.

20 Replies 20

JATINDER KUMAR
Level 1
Level 1

hi amanda .. i was just cheking your configuration .. looks good to me ... tell me

one things how you remember this tough password h#c9K1n6*p     CHANGE THIS

& tell me what error u r getting

Jatin

Steven Holl
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There isn't enough information to troubleshoot this.  Can you run 'debug mgcp packet' and get a detailed CM trace off the .11 node during a registration attempt?  MGCP event debug is very verbose (too verbose to send to the terminal monitor), and doesn't show the packets to CM.  you're better off debugging to the logging buffer ('logging buffered 7' and then 'sh log'). A screenshot off the CM page would help, too.  Did you click 'reset gateway' in CM after adding it?  And what is the output of 'sh ccm'?

It may also be of benefit for you to initially configure config server on the VG until it registers.  Once your registered, feel free to remove the config server and save the config, though:

ccm config server 10.1.10.11

ccm config

no mgcp mgcp

-Steve

Hi Steve,

I have run a debug mgcp all and tried a couple of things with the configuration, but without success.

I tried removing the bind commands and resetting the gateway.

I tried adding the tftp server in as the config server.

This changed the names for the ccm to their domain name.

I added the ip host command to tell the router the ip address to use for each host name.

It is still not regestering.

I am going to have to try to run the trace commands tomorrow from the .11 hosts

I am not looking forward to that as it will be quite a log of output and hard to look through.

I would like to thank everyone who has posted in working this problem out.

The current output of show ccm host is

rsl-how-vg224-1#show ccm host
MGCP Domain Name: rsl-how-vg224-1
Priority        Status                   Host
============================================================
Primary         Registering with CM      RSLCCM02 (10.1.10.11)
First Backup    Backup Ready             RSLCCM01 (10.1.10.10)
Second Backup   None

rsl-how-vg224-1#

The current IOS is:

rsl-how-vg224-1#show version | include .bin
System image file is "slot0:vg224-i6s-mz.124-22.T4.bin"
rsl-how-vg224-1#

Any other ideas would be gratefully accepted.

Tomorrow,  I will probablly hard code the ip addressses back into the gateway and reset it again to see if it registers.

I might lookup the domain name used on the CCM manager devices and make sure it is the same within the vg224.

Regards,

Amanda Lalli-Cafini

Regards,

Amanda Lalli-Cafini

Hi Amanda,

There is one more thing that comes to mind that we have seen cause this behavior - where the device appears registered in sh ccm - try changing the VG224 hostname to something short and simple and see if it registers.

HTH,

Art

TFTP isn't an issue since it is getting the config.  It technically doesn't need the config for it to register, anyway.  Can you ping 10.1.10.11 from the gateway?

'debug mgcp all' is WAY too verbose to send to the terminal when debugging, and you'll drop tons of output when doing that.

Enable just:

debug mgcp pack

debug ip tcp trans

debug ip udop

debug ip icmp

Collect those via:

Router(config)# service sequence
Router(config)# service timestamps debug datetime msec
Router(config)# logging buffered 10000000 7
Router(config)# no logging con
Router(config)# no logging mon
Router(config)# voice iec syslog

Router# term len 0

Router# sh logg

Get those in parallel with detailed CM traces.

asandborgh
Level 4
Level 4

Greetings Amanda,

There is a long standing bug with MGCP concerning the bind commands.  Try taking them both off and see if the gateways register.  If so you can put them back on and it should work fine from there - it seems to only happen when they first register.

HTH,

Art

asandborgh wrote:

Greetings Amanda,

There is a long standing bug with MGCP concerning the bind commands.  Try taking them both off and see if the gateways register.  If so you can put them back on and it should work fine from there - it seems to only happen when they first register.

HTH,

Art

If you can reproduce this behavior on recent IOS, please open a TAC SR on this behavior so that we can diagnose and get this fixed.  To my knowledge, all MGCP bind bugs have been addressed and fixed in recent releases.  If there is an outstanding issue, we want to address it.

Hi Amanda,

the configs look correct. Please do "no mgcp" and enable following debugs  and do a  'mgcp".

++ debug mgcp packets

++ debug mgcp events

Please enable logging before running debug.

config t
service timestamps debug datetime local  msec
service timestamps log datetime local msec
service sequence
no  logging console
no logging monitor
no logging rate-limit
no logging  queue-limit
logging buffered 512000 7
voice iec syslog

And also try registering the gateway with following commands instead of giving the call-agent IP.

conf t
no mgcp
no mgcp call-agent
ccm-manager config server
ccm-manager config
mgcp

manosrin wrote:

Hi Amanda,

the configs look correct. Please do "no mgcp" and enable following debugs  and do a  'mgcp".

++ debug mgcp packets

++ debug mgcp events

Please enable logging before running debug.

config t
service timestamps debug datetime local  msec
service timestamps log datetime local msec
service sequence
no  logging console
no logging monitor
no logging rate-limit
no logging  queue-limit
logging buffered 512000 7
voice iec syslog

And also try registering the gateway with following commands instead of giving the call-agent IP.

conf t
no mgcp
no mgcp call-agent
ccm-manager config server
ccm-manager config
mgcp

I wouldn't run mgcp event debugs just yet.  Those debugs are very verbose, and potentially not necessary at this point.  Unless the data collected witht the CM trace and the debugs I previous mentioned (mgcp pack/icmp/tcp) appears to be an issue with the IOS stack itself, I'd leave those event debugs off.

Configuring config server will just get the CA address from the config.  Which is just going to be the first node in the CM group configured for the device.  Hence that command will just be added back in there anyway.

One thing to double check is what manoj wrote. I dont see the command

"ccm-manager config" in your configuration you posted.

I won't worry about the bind command as FE0/0

is the only interface with an IP so media/sig will

be sourced from that.

- Is there anything between  that could be blocking GW from reaching CCM port UDP/ 2427 ?

- Does the CMGroup used for this GW infact has servers listed in correct order (RSLCCM02, RSLCCM01) ?

- Have u provisioned/configured atleast one VG port on CCM side ?

If above checks out, pl. get GW debugs and CCM trace as others mentioned.

DK

Tracy, the ccm-manager config is for generating auto config, later it's not needed anymore.

Amanda, try adding a domain name to your voice gateway, and on the call manager side, register it with hostname.domainname

Hopefully that should help, and if it does, please rate.

cheers.

Hi,

Is the end-point configured? because it's the end point that gets registered to the Call Manager.

techguy, thanks! i wasnt aware of that.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: