cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Linksys wrt54g2 internet connection through ASA5520

bruce.thornton
Level 1
Level 1

I have a requirement to connect a linksys wrt54g2 for Internet and remote access through a sub interface on an ASA5520, all of the ethernet ports on the linksys are in use and can not be disconnected.  Can I use the Internet port on the Linksys to tunnel through the network back to a sub interface on the ASA to provide this connectivity?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jitendriya Athavale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi bruce,

could you please us on how your current setup is and what exactly you mean by

"Can I use the Internet port on the Linksys to tunnel through the network  back to a sub interface on the ASA to provide this connectivity?"

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jitendriya Athavale
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

hi bruce,

could you please us on how your current setup is and what exactly you mean by

"Can I use the Internet port on the Linksys to tunnel through the network  back to a sub interface on the ASA to provide this connectivity?"

This Linksys has 5 ports, 4 are used for Lan connections

and there is a single port labeled "Internet".

The 4 port are in use, and from a sinlge private network.  I need to provide Internet access to those 4 devices and allow for remote access to those devices via the Internet.  I want to use the port labeled Internet to provide Internet access this way.

1. Create a sub-interface on the inside interface of my ASA5520.

2. Create a global NAT for that sub-interface on the outside.

3.Create a dhcp scope on the ASA5520 for the network.

4.Create Layer 2 interface on my network and tunnel that Layer2 interface to the inside interface of the ASA5520

5. Setup ACLs and PAT for the 4 connections on the Linksys.

6. Attached the port labeled Internet to my network in the Layer 2 interface defined.

My question is can the port on the Linksys labeled Internet be configured as an access port and will the steps 1 thru 6 work in this secnerio?

i dont think you can use that port as acces sport bcoz that is th eonlyport used for l3 connectivity in linksys

so if i understand you right you do not want to perfrom any natting on linksys bcoz of security concerns and want to use it only as switch to your internal networks

is putting the firewall first and then the linksys an option, you can use linksys as a gateway to internet

from wht i understand you have 4 networks on your inside and the asa 5520 comes with 4 gig ports and 1 fast eth port that should suffice your requirement

i hope i have understood your requirement and guiding you on right track

Yes I have 4 ports on the Linksys, they are all in use and I can't disconnect any of the 4 ports.  Can I disable Nat'ng on the Internet port and just use it as a router port.

i am not sure about linksys devices but see if you can make a one to nat for the entire internal network on the linksys or i am not sure if there is an option to exempt traffic from natting

i think it should be possible to one to one nat for entire subnet if exempting the traffic from nat is not possible

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card