cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wireless device behind my firewall....

toddyboman
Level 1
Level 1

How do I set up a wireless router/modem behind my asa 5510 firewall to connect to my inside network and then connect to the internet?

Thanks!

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't seem to understand what you are trying to achieve?  You want to put a wireless (what exactly) in the DMZ and allow connections to the inside and to the Internet which is on the outside?  Let us know what wireless equipment you have and what you are trying to accomplish.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have 2 isp provided modems.

1 is bridged to my asa 5510.  But since it is bridged its wireless ability does not work, plus its on the outside of my firewall...

Then the second I am wanting to use its wireless abilities to allow my laptops to establish a wireless connection.  Those laptops would then be able to surf the net and connect to the shared drive in the office.

but I am not sure how to set the second wireless router up.....

Thanks.

I don't know if you really want to do that.  You would have to have clients get an ip that isn't on your internal network, a dmz ip and then you would ahve to open up ports to allow that wireless subnet to the various network in your internal network.  Usually you have wireless on your internal and then you have your internal users access to the internal network and to the corporate internet.  You will have to play around with the FW to get what you want to work correctly.  The wireless part is simple, how you flow the traffic is another story.

-Scott

So by connecting my second isp wireless router to my switch which is part of my inside network I couldn't use that second wireless router to establish a wireless connection?

You need to have the right equipment. You have to put ISP equipment on the DMZ. What you need is an access point that resides on your inside internal network. This AP will associate clients and would place these clients on your internal network. Then you would configure your infrastructure to route the traffic how you wish. The reason you can't do what you want is that an ISP wifi router only has one route it knows..... That is what it knows from the wan port. So all traffic leaves the wan port via the ISP default gateway.

Posted from my mobile device.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card