Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS with non-HTTP traffic on port 80

jake.bunce
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know if with a Cisco ASA it's possible to create a policy which inspects non-HTTP traffic on port 80, and then create a class-map to rate limit matching traffic?

I've seen the http-map command - however port-misuse doesn't appear to be granular enough to match traffic other than P2P and IM.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jake,

You cannot do that. You cannot priority queue only specific HTTP commands etc. You can block reset erc based on HHTP attributes, but for LLQ (QoS), you need to match on general criteria like (all port 80 etc).

I hope it is clear.

PK

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Maykol Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Thanks for posting, what is the final pusrpose of this configuration? If we create a class map to rate limit port 80, it will do port 80 regardless of the traffic that comes on that port? Is it for any specific l7 kind of traffic?

Let me know.

Mike

Mike

Hi Mike,

The purpose of the configuration will be to shape - but not block - non-HTTP TCP port 80 traffic. Here's an example:

Data is received on an interface, and then processed as follows

HTTP GET, POST, HEAD etc  -----> class-map with priority bandwidth allocated and placed in a low latency queue.

Application X, uses TCP 80     -----> class-map fair queue (best effort)

Both class-maps to be applied to a policy-map, and then on the interface.

Jake

Jake,

You cannot do that. You cannot priority queue only specific HTTP commands etc. You can block reset erc based on HHTP attributes, but for LLQ (QoS), you need to match on general criteria like (all port 80 etc).

I hope it is clear.

PK

I thought as much.

Thanks for your time anyway.

Take care,

PK

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card