Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

VLAN across two 4948 switches

Unanswered Question

Have 2 4948 switches - one active with a single default vlan connecting several digital headend devices within the same subnet; the second is out of the box, unused.

I want to "stack" the two switches (they are not physically "stackable") in effect run the single subnet across both switches.

As I've got the default vlan on the active switch assigned an IP within the headend subnet, what is the best recommendation to "join" the second switch into this subnet/vlan?  Apologies, L2 switching is not my strong suit.

Appreciate any info.

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Jon Marshall Wed, 11/03/2010 - 14:47
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

[email protected]

Have 2 4948 switches - one active with a single default vlan connecting several digital headend devices within the same subnet; the second is out of the box, unused.

I want to "stack" the two switches (they are not physically "stackable") in effect run the single subnet across both switches.

As I've got the default vlan on the active switch assigned an IP within the headend subnet, what is the best recommendation to "join" the second switch into this subnet/vlan?  Apologies, L2 switching is not my strong suit.

Appreciate any info.

If you simply want to have the second switch in the same vlan and have the active switch the only one with the IP address then simply connect the switches with a crossover cable or fibre cable depending which port you use and configure the ports on both switches to be in that vlan ie. if vlan is vlan 10 -

int gi0/1

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

on both switches. That's all you need to do.

Jon

Jon Marshall Wed, 11/03/2010 - 15:28
User Badges:
  • Super Blue, 32500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

Founding Member

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 LAN, WAN

No problem. sometimes we all tend to overcomplicate it

Actions

This Discussion

Related Content