Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3750 RPS 675 question

Kyle Gatlin
Level 1
Level 1

Some background.

This is a 2x 3750 stack. The secondary switch blew it's power supply, so we copied the config over and replaced it. The RPS light on the master switch was green. It was orange on the second switch. Logged into the switch and performed a sh env all. Saw this.

SW  PID                 Serial#     Status           Sys Pwr  PoE Pwr  Watts
--  ------------------  ----------  ---------------  -------  -------  -----
1  Built-in                                           Good
2  Built-in                                           Unavailable    

Notice the Unavailable Sys Pwr for the second switch.

Swapped out the second switches RPS cable, which we reused from the replaced switch. It had visible, physical damage. One of the pinouts was very loose and the plastic bezel that enclosed it was ripped. Looked like someone had jammed it into the back of the switch and ruined it.

So, did another sh env all and the Sys Pwr was good and good on both and the RPS light was now green where as it was orange.

Then I performed a sh env status and saw this.

WITCH: 1
FAN is OK
TEMPERATURE is OK
Temperature Value: 39 Degree Celsius
Temperature State: GREEN
Yellow Threshold : 56 Degree Celsius
Red Threshold    : 66 Degree Celsius
POWER is OK
RPS is NOT AVAILABLE     <-------------------------------------

SWITCH: 2
FAN is OK
TEMPERATURE is OK
Temperature Value: 37 Degree Celsius
Temperature State: GREEN
Yellow Threshold : 56 Degree Celsius
Red Threshold    : 66 Degree Celsius
POWER is OK
RPS is NOT AVAILABLE     <-------------------------------------

Now, I'm not exactly sure what's going on here. Obviously the RPS is available because the switches are plugged into it, I get a green indicator on the two switches, and I get a green indicator on the actual physical RPS as well.

I am worried about this particular stack losing power in the event of a power outage. It handles connectivity for a large portion of our servers. Hence why it's important to make sure this isn't going to cause a problem.

I'm assuming/hoping that a reboot will fix the problem, but I was wanting to get a second opinion from some one else who may know a thing or two.  Maybe there's a command I don't know that would fix the issue.  Or maybe worse, maybe the RPS has gone bad? 

TIA!!!

1 Reply 1

Kyle Gatlin
Level 1
Level 1

The switches are 3750G's, so Power RPS commands do not work.