cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing 4506 Catalyst Supervisor Card

wispkit
Level 1
Level 1

Last week my supervisor card died.  I now have the replacement. I pulled out the compact flash out of the old Supervisor Card and in to the new one. After inserting it and placing the supervisor card back in the Switch I was booted in to ROM Monitor mode. I then have to boot the IOS from slot0: by using the boot command.

When I do a dir slot0: on the Compact Flash I see the IOS along with a file called running-config and a file named switchname-config. When I copy the switchname-config in to  the running-config the config finally loads.

What commands do I need to do to get the IOS and configuration on slot0: to boot up when the switch is turned on?

(I have spent hours reading numerous posts and tech notes with no avail)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bert Gevers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When replacing a supervisor, it may initially drop to rommon as the rommon variables are not pointing to the correct IOS image.

After booting the system, to make sure that on a subsequent reboot IOS is directly loaded, you need to make sure that:

1) the config register is set to autoboot.  The normal value will be 0x2102.  You can set this with the command in configuration mode:

config-register 0x2102

You can verify the config register value in the output of 'show version | inc register'.

2) Additionally, you need to make sure that the boot statement points to the correct file.  The running config should contain a line like:

boot system flash :

Afterwards, you should write the configuration.

By default, a supervisor will load the configuration it finds in nvram:startup-config.  Again, this is done with a ROMMON variable so a replacement sup will very likely have it set like this.  In theory, it is possible to change this through rommon, but I would advise against this.

Basically, when you have a new supervisor, the first time you set it up, copy a backup configuration from slot0: to nvram:startup-config and reload the supervisor.  After this has been done once, the startup-config will automatically be updated whenever you do a write mem or copy running-config startup-config.

HTH,

Bert

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

kit_eizenga wrote:

Last week my supervisor card died.  I now have the replacement. I pulled out the compact flash out of the old Supervisor Card and in to the new one. After inserting it and placing the supervisor card back in the Switch I was booted in to ROM Monitor mode. I then have to boot the IOS from slot0: by using the boot command.

When I do a dir slot0: on the Compact Flash I see the IOS along with a file called running-config and a file named switchname-config. When I copy the switchname-config in to  the running-config the config finally loads.

What commands do I need to do to get the IOS and configuration on slot0: to boot up when the switch is turned on?

(I have spent hours reading numerous posts and tech notes with no avail)

Enter this in you running config -

4500(config)# boot system flash slot0:/

save the config and reboot.

Jon

Bert Gevers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When replacing a supervisor, it may initially drop to rommon as the rommon variables are not pointing to the correct IOS image.

After booting the system, to make sure that on a subsequent reboot IOS is directly loaded, you need to make sure that:

1) the config register is set to autoboot.  The normal value will be 0x2102.  You can set this with the command in configuration mode:

config-register 0x2102

You can verify the config register value in the output of 'show version | inc register'.

2) Additionally, you need to make sure that the boot statement points to the correct file.  The running config should contain a line like:

boot system flash :

Afterwards, you should write the configuration.

By default, a supervisor will load the configuration it finds in nvram:startup-config.  Again, this is done with a ROMMON variable so a replacement sup will very likely have it set like this.  In theory, it is possible to change this through rommon, but I would advise against this.

Basically, when you have a new supervisor, the first time you set it up, copy a backup configuration from slot0: to nvram:startup-config and reload the supervisor.  After this has been done once, the startup-config will automatically be updated whenever you do a write mem or copy running-config startup-config.

HTH,

Bert

I noticed the boot system flash : command pointed to some wrong places so I kicked out the config lines that were incorrect.

Then copied the running-config to the nvram:start-up config. and the config on the slot0:switchconfig and did a reload.  Booted up fine.

How can I confirm that the switch is indeed booting off the config in slot0: and not the one I temporaily stuff in nvram:?

When I do a sh bootvar it is blank?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card