cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Replacing 4506 Catalyst Supervisor Card

wispkit
Level 1
Level 1

Last week my supervisor card died.  I now have the replacement. I pulled out the compact flash out of the old Supervisor Card and in to the new one. After inserting it and placing the supervisor card back in the Switch I was booted in to ROM Monitor mode. I then have to boot the IOS from slot0: by using the boot command.

When I do a dir slot0: on the Compact Flash I see the IOS along with a file called running-config and a file named switchname-config. When I copy the switchname-config in to  the running-config the config finally loads.

What commands do I need to do to get the IOS and configuration on slot0: to boot up when the switch is turned on?

(I have spent hours reading numerous posts and tech notes with no avail)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bert Gevers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When replacing a supervisor, it may initially drop to rommon as the rommon variables are not pointing to the correct IOS image.

After booting the system, to make sure that on a subsequent reboot IOS is directly loaded, you need to make sure that:

1) the config register is set to autoboot.  The normal value will be 0x2102.  You can set this with the command in configuration mode:

config-register 0x2102

You can verify the config register value in the output of 'show version | inc register'.

2) Additionally, you need to make sure that the boot statement points to the correct file.  The running config should contain a line like:

boot system flash :

Afterwards, you should write the configuration.

By default, a supervisor will load the configuration it finds in nvram:startup-config.  Again, this is done with a ROMMON variable so a replacement sup will very likely have it set like this.  In theory, it is possible to change this through rommon, but I would advise against this.

Basically, when you have a new supervisor, the first time you set it up, copy a backup configuration from slot0: to nvram:startup-config and reload the supervisor.  After this has been done once, the startup-config will automatically be updated whenever you do a write mem or copy running-config startup-config.

HTH,

Bert

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

kit_eizenga wrote:

Last week my supervisor card died.  I now have the replacement. I pulled out the compact flash out of the old Supervisor Card and in to the new one. After inserting it and placing the supervisor card back in the Switch I was booted in to ROM Monitor mode. I then have to boot the IOS from slot0: by using the boot command.

When I do a dir slot0: on the Compact Flash I see the IOS along with a file called running-config and a file named switchname-config. When I copy the switchname-config in to  the running-config the config finally loads.

What commands do I need to do to get the IOS and configuration on slot0: to boot up when the switch is turned on?

(I have spent hours reading numerous posts and tech notes with no avail)

Enter this in you running config -

4500(config)# boot system flash slot0:/

save the config and reboot.

Jon

Bert Gevers
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

When replacing a supervisor, it may initially drop to rommon as the rommon variables are not pointing to the correct IOS image.

After booting the system, to make sure that on a subsequent reboot IOS is directly loaded, you need to make sure that:

1) the config register is set to autoboot.  The normal value will be 0x2102.  You can set this with the command in configuration mode:

config-register 0x2102

You can verify the config register value in the output of 'show version | inc register'.

2) Additionally, you need to make sure that the boot statement points to the correct file.  The running config should contain a line like:

boot system flash :

Afterwards, you should write the configuration.

By default, a supervisor will load the configuration it finds in nvram:startup-config.  Again, this is done with a ROMMON variable so a replacement sup will very likely have it set like this.  In theory, it is possible to change this through rommon, but I would advise against this.

Basically, when you have a new supervisor, the first time you set it up, copy a backup configuration from slot0: to nvram:startup-config and reload the supervisor.  After this has been done once, the startup-config will automatically be updated whenever you do a write mem or copy running-config startup-config.

HTH,

Bert

I noticed the boot system flash : command pointed to some wrong places so I kicked out the config lines that were incorrect.

Then copied the running-config to the nvram:start-up config. and the config on the slot0:switchconfig and did a reload.  Booted up fine.

How can I confirm that the switch is indeed booting off the config in slot0: and not the one I temporaily stuff in nvram:?

When I do a sh bootvar it is blank?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card