cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Comparison of 3750 advipservices and ipservices and ipbase images

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

In preparation for the future, I've been upgrading our switches. Inline with modern network design, I want to prepare ourselves for layer 3 to the edge. On my 3750s and 3650s should I install the advipservices, ipservices or would ipbase image be sufficient?

I was just trying to get the advipservices image off the download software section on the Cisco site and couldn't find it. Is it still there? I thought I could get some comparisons.

Thank you,

Pat

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Pat,

Besides the 3750 you also mention 3650, but I guess you mean a 3560-switch?

Basicly from 12.2(50)SE only ipservices and ipbase exist as feature set for 3560 and 3750-switches.

Prior releases like 12.2(46) and below still had an advipservices-feature set,

however if you check in the feature navigator tool (www.cisco.com/go/fn)

and compare a 12.2(46)SE advipservices-image with the 12.2(55)SE image ipservices,

then you will see that the 12.2(55)SE ipservices is doing everything the 12.2(46)SE was doing.

(back in 46SE, there was some extra IPv6 routing not available in standard ipservices image,

but since 12.2(50)SE this also is available in ipservices)

So in your case I would recommend 12.2(55)SE ipservices.

However I still encourage to do the exercise yourself in the feature navigator tool,

so you can see the difference yourself in supported features between and IPbase and IPservices image on the 3560 and 3750switch

using latest 12.2(55)SE.

Cheers,

Tom

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

tverhell
Level 1
Level 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

In preparation for the future, I've been upgrading our switches. Inline with modern network design, I want to prepare ourselves for layer 3 to the edge. On my 3750s and 3650s should I install the advipservices, ipservices or would ipbase image be sufficient?

I was just trying to get the advipservices image off the download software section on the Cisco site and couldn't find it. Is it still there? I thought I could get some comparisons.

Thank you,

Pat

Hi Pat,

See the following document that shows the relationships between different feature sets

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/ciscoiospackaging-eng.pdf

Advanced enterprise has more features then advanced ip services DMVPN is one of the features in common for a more detailed comparison of features I suggest to use the Feature Navigator Tool www.cisco.com/go/fn

the tool can be used to compare two images providing two lists of features one for each image

Hope to help

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Hi Pat,

Besides the 3750 you also mention 3650, but I guess you mean a 3560-switch?

Basicly from 12.2(50)SE only ipservices and ipbase exist as feature set for 3560 and 3750-switches.

Prior releases like 12.2(46) and below still had an advipservices-feature set,

however if you check in the feature navigator tool (www.cisco.com/go/fn)

and compare a 12.2(46)SE advipservices-image with the 12.2(55)SE image ipservices,

then you will see that the 12.2(55)SE ipservices is doing everything the 12.2(46)SE was doing.

(back in 46SE, there was some extra IPv6 routing not available in standard ipservices image,

but since 12.2(50)SE this also is available in ipservices)

So in your case I would recommend 12.2(55)SE ipservices.

However I still encourage to do the exercise yourself in the feature navigator tool,

so you can see the difference yourself in supported features between and IPbase and IPservices image on the 3560 and 3750switch

using latest 12.2(55)SE.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I guess I was wanting some direction. The naming of the images is a little confusing - for instances, the advipservices is older than the ipservices. I think I am going to go ahead a put the ipservices on. And I will use the Navigator feature tool.

-Pat

Tom, I am in the process I of upgrading our 3750 switches I went to download 12.2(55) ipservices, and there was a Software Advisory Notice. What version would you recommend now if you wanted similar features? 12.2(50)SE?

Hello John,

normally the software advisory suggest to what image to go to.

In your particular case the advisory is against

12.2(55)SE

12.2(55)SE1

12.2(55)SE2

12.2(55)SE3

suggesting

12.2(55)SE4.

However there also is 12.2(55)SE5 available.

latest rebuilt of 12.2(55)SE, and I would recommend moving to this one instead.

Normally all release with the same nr in between the brackets contain the same features

(of course there are some limited exceptions, but this is then well documented in the release-notes)

the nr at the end (1 to 5 here), indicates which rebuild-version the image is.

So 12.2(55)SE5, is the 5th rebuild of the original 12.2(55)SE image, and all have the same features.

Difference between the rebuild version, is the higher the nr, the more bug fixes it should contain,

hence should be more stable.

So as general rule of thumb: always take the highest rebuild-nr from a certain version,

here 12.2(55)SE5.

Kind Regards,

Tom

So 12.2(55)SE5 IP Server would be a compatible updated version for  12.2(44)SE5 Advanced IP services?

Yes, when I reread my post from (Nov 9, 2010 3:28 AM), where I compared both images in feature navigator.

Tom

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Also you have to remember I believe you have to get  feature set upgrade from cisco in order to "legally" change from say ipbase to ipservices if these are existing switches .  Check with your local cisco rep.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: