Views
Helpful
Replies

3750v2 Stacking issues

jackwallis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I've been having a few issues building a stack of 7x 3750v2's.  I've configured the first switch as master, provisioned the other 6 switches, set lower priorities for the other switches and made sure all are using the same ios. (c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-55.SE)

When I plug them in one at a time, they all come up fine with the correct stacking number.  The master even moves to the next highest priority if the master is powered off.  However if the stack is rebooted, then all the switches load with either a different switch number or as part of a different stack.

I've checked all the stacking cables are correctly plugged in, though the stack would not have worked correctly in the first place if they were not.

Anyone have any ideas what else I can try to get this working?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

steve.jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Ive got a reported fault with the exact same issue. Im due to go in and have a look at it tomorrow but was wondering if you managed to resolve the issue.

steve

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
When I plug them in one at a time, they all come up fine with the correct stacking number.  The master even moves to the next highest priority if the master is powered off.  However if the stack is rebooted, then all the switches load with either a different switch number or as part of a different stack.

I can't share the same for others but when dealing with stacked switches, I always power them up in the order of the stack.  This happens if the stack is "assembled" for the first time.

Hi,

Thats what I did, however if we have to reload the stack for any reason, like an ios upgrade then when the stack comes back up all the switches will have different numbers in the stack and any configuration will only apply to the old switch numbers.  Thats the problem i'm having.

Never had any problems like this with the old 3750s just with the new 3750v2s.

Thanks

steve.jones
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Ive got a reported fault with the exact same issue. Im due to go in and have a look at it tomorrow but was wondering if you managed to resolve the issue.

steve

Unfortunately not.  We do have an engineer funnily enough from Redstone who is visiting tomorrow to have a look at this...

Redstone engineer fixed the issue.

Faulty stacking cable.  It was appearing as up in the boot process, then when the stack master elections started the stacking ports the cable was plugged in to went down.  This caused the effects described in the starting post.

Replacing with a new cable fixed the issue.  The stack now only has 7 provisioned switches, and although the numbering was still out, this was only because the numbering had gone a bit haywire.  Renumbered switches and changed priority, saved config and can now reload without the stack reverting back to randomness.

Redstone engineer above was the engineer who visited to fix.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card