cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 Static Routing Question

AlexPejcic
Level 1
Level 1

I am currently using RV042 in the two-WAN backup mode. However, I tried the redundant option and am finding it to give me more bandwidth and better performance than only one of the WANs.

My problem is that in the redundant mode, I am unable to use a few websites that I use on a regular basis. One of the sites is our internet hosted time sheet service and their site just goes crazy when I try to access it through the router set up in redundant mode. I am not even able to login to their site, and it is important for my daily work.

My question is - can I set up static routes for certain sites so that the router knows to access them through only one of my WANs? For example, if my timesheet software site is 123.123.123.123, and my prefered WAN gateway is 68.68.68.68, can I tell the router to only access this site through the given gateway, even if the router is configured to use either WAN?

I have tried static routes and it does not seem to work at all.

For example:

Site: 123.123.123.123

SM: 255.255.255.0

Gateway 68.68.68.68

When I save this and run the tracert to 123.123.123.123, it goes through the other gateway, and not the one I specified here.

Any hints are appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex P.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

If your using this in load balance mode, go to system management and scroll down to protocol binding.  Chances are your going to a secure site with both wans working and the site sees one connection with two ip addresses coming at it and breaks the connection.  You can do a protocol bind for all your https traffic to go out one wan for all the ip addresses in your network and this should fix the issue.  You can do this for mail and other protocols that would get messed up by the dual wan.  Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

David Carr
Level 6
Level 6

If your using this in load balance mode, go to system management and scroll down to protocol binding.  Chances are your going to a secure site with both wans working and the site sees one connection with two ip addresses coming at it and breaks the connection.  You can do a protocol bind for all your https traffic to go out one wan for all the ip addresses in your network and this should fix the issue.  You can do this for mail and other protocols that would get messed up by the dual wan.  Hope this helps.

Ah so simple. I will try it for a few days and report back when I am 100% sure that it works fine. Thank you!

We use load balancing at numerous installations and historically only set provider's speed.  For best performance, should we do protocol binding for all services or specific ones only?  Does binding overhead diminish performance?

Is Source IP our DHCP table range?  Is Destination IP the router's LAN IP or static address provided by ISP?

Protocol binding can be to a specific ip address if need be or a protocol like https or smtp to go out a specific wan.  It is designed for however the need fits.  If you need all traffic to a certain site to go out one wan then do all traffic to that ip address go out one wan.  If your using load balancing and are going to secure sites but don't want to put the ip address of each secure site, you can set the protocol to go out one wan and leave the destination all 0's.

Thank you - this works like a charm.

No problem,

Glad I could help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: