Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

2100 WLAN Connectivity Issues (1 client can connect!?)

Unanswered Question
Nov 17th, 2010
User Badges:

We are having issues with our 2100 series controller.

First, let me give a summary.  The software on the controller is 7.0.98.0 and it is a Cisco 2112. We are using multiple access points: 1142, 3502 and 1242's.  The 1242 is disconnected for this setup currently.

We are able to connect to the WLAN's, but only one client at a time, or the clients get errors (generic 'No Internet Access' in windows 7).  Both WLAN's will work with one client (A WPA AUTH(PSK) and a Web-Auth one).

It seems like if more then one client is on an access point, the other will fail.  I know this since I had one client working on one side of the building, and went to the other side of the building with another client, and he also worked.  As soon as I brought it back and both associated with the one access point, the connection failed.

This is driving me nuts, if anybody has any idea what is going on please let me know.  The whole network worked before I upgraded with WLAN Controller.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Nicolas Darchis Wed, 11/17/2010 - 23:14
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi,

there is no logical reason to this.

Can you associate one client, then type "debug client < mac address of 2nd client>" and then power on the 2nd clietn and associate it with the AP ?

Did you check for DHCP pool problem ?

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Surendra BG Wed, 11/17/2010 - 23:20
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Seen this issue when the APs connect to the smal office home office switches and the smartport configurations on that port is not configured as "ACCESS POINT" rather it will be in "GUEST" config.

this came on top of my head.. i assume we are not using the SMALL office homew office switches like CE 500 or somrthing!!

Regards

Surendra

GTrzaska Thu, 11/18/2010 - 07:04
User Badges:

Right now the WLAN Controller is connected to a Cisco 520.  The Access points in question are connected to a 3560-8PC, and others on the other side of the building connected to a Express 500, and a 2960.  We have 11 switches in the building.

Both are getting correct information but only  when they can join.  The one that connects to the network works like it  is a typical wired machine, pings everything - works great. 

Maybe I should clarify, the 2nd machine does not get it's info from DHCP server UNTIL the 1st machine is off.

Machine A: On and connected, works great.
Machine B: Won't get DHCP info when A is on. 

Turn Machine A off, wait a minute, and Machine B gets DHCP info.  Same if you flip them around.

Maybe narrowing down to DHCP issues?

Surendra BG Thu, 11/18/2010 - 08:23
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

ok...

1>> The client is getting connected to which AP?? and this AP in reference is connected to what switch??

Regards

Surendra

GTrzaska Thu, 11/18/2010 - 08:43
User Badges:

The old setup was:

APs->3560 8 Port PoE->2960g

WLAN Controller->500 Series Express->2960g

I now moved it to:

APs->3560 8 Port PoE->2960g

WLAN Controller->2960g

NOW IT WORKS?  Is the EXPRESS 500 Series not good to have in a medium sized coporation?  We have around 11 Switches, 3560's, 2960's etc.  It seems like it wasn't playing nice?

I am going to do more tests to make sure it wasn't just a fluke!

GTrzaska Thu, 11/18/2010 - 10:31
User Badges:

Problem was deinfitely that it was plugged into a 500 series switch.

Thanks for the insight.

Greg

Nicolas Darchis Thu, 11/18/2010 - 10:51
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

That should not be a problem. Like Surendra mentioned, maybe your port role for the AP port wasn't the correct one ? Check in that direction.

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

GTrzaska Thu, 11/18/2010 - 13:16
User Badges:

I didnt think it would be a problem either, but when I moved the WLAN controller to the other switch it works fine, I did not change any other settings.

Actions

This Discussion