cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What do you do after you are connected to your vpn?

masterjx9
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am new to this. I am learning about vpn clients and whatnot.

My mother has been trying to get her files from her job from home on her laptop but we don't know what to do after she is connected. Even right now, we are connected but we don't see any files or gui or virtual hard drive or anything.

Where do we go to access these files after we are connect (I have checked everywhere for this information but I can't find it. I checked youtube and they just talk about how to connect to the vpn but not where to go to get your files from your job or other location.)

Thanks again everyone

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

it is a start. But, nothing is going to be automatic. What is the first thing she does on her computer when she is in office? Like clicking on some icon or start and application.

Also, is she using her own computer at home or is this a company laptop? if this is her own computer then she needs to have the desired applications loaded or there will be some special way to access the company portal/application. If this is her company laptop then things should be easy as her applications (icons) should be in their usual places.

>This just kinda bugs me because I was going to take my A+ certification test next week and if I can't fix a simple problem myself then how am I suppose to pass?

I do not think you should let this problem put a dent on your spirits for the exam. Sometime troubleshooting is a mind game rather technical knowledge.

Good Luck.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Vikas Saxena
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I suppose it is a general question which you are asking and not specifically regarding the Cisco VPN client (IPSEC or SSL).

I can safely say for every VPN client out there, which comes as a installer that they provide a virtual wire to your office. So once connected through VPN client. You should be able to do your job as if you are in office. Have your mother try to open up the files the usual way as if she is in office. (Try to open company's intranet through IE or FF)

There could be restrictions involved (as per company policy) regarding what you can access and what not once you are on VPN, so, my suggestion will be to contact the company's help desk if you require more focused knowledge/troubleshooting.

The program she has on her laptop (that the people gave her on the e-mail) cisco vpn. We are connected as we speak but nothing is different about the computer. We can't find any files, or any thing different at all.

This just kinda bugs me because I was going to take my A+ certification test next week and if I can't fix a simple problem myself then how am I suppose to pass?

Oh well, I guess she will have to ask the help desk tomorrow.

I just don't see anything at all and she is connected. I can see the status the log window and everything but I can't see her files from her job or any GUI interface that would be like a remote desktop connect.

Well, thanks though.

it is a start. But, nothing is going to be automatic. What is the first thing she does on her computer when she is in office? Like clicking on some icon or start and application.

Also, is she using her own computer at home or is this a company laptop? if this is her own computer then she needs to have the desired applications loaded or there will be some special way to access the company portal/application. If this is her company laptop then things should be easy as her applications (icons) should be in their usual places.

>This just kinda bugs me because I was going to take my A+ certification test next week and if I can't fix a simple problem myself then how am I suppose to pass?

I do not think you should let this problem put a dent on your spirits for the exam. Sometime troubleshooting is a mind game rather technical knowledge.

Good Luck.

This is her personal laptop. The IT department told her that she just have to stay logged off at her computer (at the office) in order for it to connect. Now that I know that there should be some special way to access the company's portal/applications then I will see if that will solve the problem tomorrow. (its 12 in the morning over here. haha)

I feel better. Thanks, I feel that we should get this resolved within the day.

Thanks again.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: