Warning message

• Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.
  • Cisco Support Forums is in Read Only mode while the site is being migrated.

Dynamic interface assignment to ports not supported on 5500 series WLCs?

Unanswered Question
Nov 26th, 2010
User Badges:

I am looking at assigning dynamc interfaces to physical ports on a 5508 controller. For various reasons, I cannot use LAG on the controller.

So I am stuck with assigning AP manager interfaces to ports and dynamic interfaces for client traffic to physical ports.

I am looking through the Release 7.0 config guide (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mint.html#wp1119824) and noticed under step 5 of the process to create a dynamic interface the document says:

"Physical port assignment (for all controllers except the 5500 series) "

It implies that dynamic interfaces cannot be assigned to physical ports on the 5500 WLC's. Is this correct? If so, then how does it work!?

Thanks

Nigel.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Tiago Antunes Sat, 11/27/2010 - 23:38
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi,

For Cisco 5500 Series Controllers, you are not  required to configure an AP-manager interface. The management interface  acts like an AP-manager interface by default, and the access points can  join on this interface.

Regarding the Dynamic Interface, you can assign the interface to a port. It looks a documentation bug...

HTH,
Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Nigel Bowden Sun, 11/28/2010 - 03:01
User Badges:

Tiago,

Thanks very much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it.

Just to pick up on the AP-manager interface aspect of the question: if I'm not using LAG, then I can only associate the management interface to one physical interface, and have one physical port as standby.Therefore, I will only enable the management VLAN on the trunks on the primary and standby ports.

If I don't create AP-manager interfaces on the other ports, how will the AP's be able to associate to the other ports (that don't have the management VLAN), as they won't have any connectivity to the management interface?

I can understand how this works if you have LAG enabled, as everything goes across one large etherchannel, which looks like a single trunk with access to all VLANs. But, when each port is a separate trunk, I don't see how the AP's can talk to the management interface when they are joining across a trunk which doesn't have the management VLAN across them (and no AP-manager is configured).

Sorry to labor this point, but I just want to be 100% sure I undestand how this works.

Thanks again for your response.

Regards

Nigel.

Tiago Antunes Sun, 11/28/2010 - 03:17
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi,

For Cisco 5500 Series Controllers, you are not  required to configure an AP-manager interface. The management interface  acts like an AP-manager interface by default.

So, whatever you configure on the management, you can think as you are doing for the AP-Management.

The thing is that in 5500 WLCs, the concept of AP-Manager interface disapeared, and all the functions of the AP-Manager interface is done on the management interface.

HTH,

Tiago

--

If  this helps you and/or answers your question please mark the question as  "answered" and/or rate it, so other users can easily find it.

Nigel Bowden Sun, 11/28/2010 - 03:48
User Badges:

Tiago.

Thanks again for the prompt response

The question still remains though... If an AP is connected to  a port that does not have the management interface assigned to it (because we are not using LAG), then there will be no IP connectivity (to terminate a CAPWAP tunnel) between the AP and the management interface through that port. The AP is connected over a port which does not have the management interface assigned to it, so cannot connect to the management interface (even though the management interface is acting as an AP-manager as well).

Here is  an example:

The management interface is assigned to port 1, with port 2 as a standby.

An AP initially connects to the management interface and is assigned to port 3 by the load balancing algorithm that it used to distribute APs across the ports of a controller.

The AP now needs to associate with port 3 to terminate its CAPWAP tunnel. If there is no AP-Manager interface, how can the tunnel be terminated on port 3? If the tunnel terminates on the management interface, then it will be running over port 1, not port 3 - the management interface (acting as an AP-manager) is not assigned to port 3.

Sorry if I'm missing something here...

Nigel.

Tiago Antunes Sun, 11/28/2010 - 04:42
User Badges:
  • Cisco Employee,

Hi,

I completely understand your doubts, as i also had them when i had to configre the 5508 for the first time...

I believe this addresses your concern:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70mint.html#wp1278779.

If you want to have more than one dynamic AP-management interface you simply need to create dynamic interfaces and check the box "Enable Dynamic AP management".

HTH,

Tiago

--

Actions

This Discussion