Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 & Port Forwarding

learnsec
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,
i am connecting my ISA server to the linksys router RV042. the router is configured to work dualWan and not DMZ.

i configured port forwarding on the Router, to forward all traffic on port 80 and 443 to be forward to the IP of the ISA. i turned off

the firewall. but no success.

i tested to open http connection to ISA from a laptop connected on one of the LAN port of the router (port next to the port where ISA is

connected) the test is successfull.

another test is done, i installed a webserver application(xerver.exe) on a laptop. i connected the laptop to the lan port of the linksys router,

and i configured port forwarding on ports 80 & 443 to the IP address of the laptop. i tried to connect through http/https to the router ip

address from the WAN but no success. which indicates that the problem is in forwarding traffic from Wan to Lan on ports 80 & 443 and not with the ISA iteslf.

so a configuration option is still missed on the router RV042 to accomplish my setup.

can you please advice.

thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Dual WAN or DMZ mode will not affect the Firewall rules so long as you are attempting to access the ISA server via the WAN 1 IP address.

You mentioned you disabled the firewall, have you re-enabled the firewall before adding the new rules for port 80?

If not, please do so and report back your findings.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

davbarre
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can you detail how you configured the port forwarding for the ISA server?

Also, can you PM me your WAN IP address so that I can perform an NMAP to verify the ports are open with the ISP inbound?

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

thank you for your reply,

the ip address of the wan interface of the router is not published yet outside. we are still in a testing phase.

the wan router interface is connected to a firewall through a switch.

the test laptop used for testing is connected on that switch. so there is no intermediate device. it is like directly connected to the router wan interface through that switch.

the port forwarding config, is just using the forwarding tab on the gui interface of the linksys router.

from the list i choose the port 80, and entered the last octet of the ISA ip address.(the first three octets are automaticaly entered) and then i do press add to list abd check the enable checkbox.

same issue while adding port 443 to the list.

so that should mean all traffic coming on port 80 & port 443 are directly forwarded to the ip address of the ISA.

the test:

from the laptop connected on the same switch where the wan router linksys interface is connected.

i open internet explorer and i do enter the ip address of the wan interface of the linksys router.

no success through port 80 nor port 443. nothing open

Hi,

What you have outlined is exactly how to setup port forwarding on the RV series routers.

The only 2 things I can think of in your scenario are the firewall on the ISA box, and that ports are not being allowed to pass on the firewall you have for testing.

Can you try disabling the firewall on the ISA box, plug the laptop directly into the WAN (with a static IP address on the laptop and the WAN interface on the RV series router) and try again?  Also, when you do that test enable remote management and see if you can get to the WebUI of the RV router.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

Hello,

Thank you for your reply,

As a first step i am glad to know that what is done is enough and there is no step(s) missed.

On my first comment, i mentioned that i am using the Linksys router on dual mode and not DMZ mode; does that have any relation with the current problem?

Concerning firewall, firstly i disable the firewall on the Linksys router.

Second, i configured a laptop with the application Xerver to act as a webserver on port 80. i tested accessing this laptop through a lan switch and test was ok.

i tried the same test through the Linksys router where i connected this webserver laptop to a one of the lan ports of the Linksys router, and with the same config of port forwarding on the Linksys (i just modified ip address of the webserver to be the ip of the laptop) and tried to open http access through internet explorer to the ip of the Linksys router and test was negative. Test failed.

So the problem is not related to a misconfig on the isa(firewall,..)

So this indicates that there is a problem specifically in forwarding traffic from wan interface to lan interfaces. but i am not able to identify where this problem is.

What do you advise?

note: when i do enable remote mgt for the rv router, i get to the authentication screen of the rv router where i should enter username and password.

thank you again,

Hi,

Dual WAN or DMZ mode will not affect the Firewall rules so long as you are attempting to access the ISA server via the WAN 1 IP address.

You mentioned you disabled the firewall, have you re-enabled the firewall before adding the new rules for port 80?

If not, please do so and report back your findings.

Thanks!

Dave

David L. Barrett, Jr.

Hello davbarre,

Thank you for your reply.

My problem is solved. it was due to a misconfiguration on the ISA level.

The port forwarding configuration is as simple as mentioned above.

On the ISA config, there is a place were i should mention what are my internal network subnets. so i was mentioning the ip address subnet of the linksys router on that list. so when replying, the ISA was fowarding the reply to inside interface and not the outside.

removing the subnet of the linksys router from that list solved the issue.

Thank you again for your replies & your interest

Very appreciated.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: