Views
Helpful
Replies

Backing up of IOS on a WLC 5508

ron_fourie
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Hope someone can help me, I have a Cisco 5508 WLC and wanted to back up the IOS.

Is there any easy way of doing this ? or have Cisco restrict this function with the new IOS licensing model?

Second question, with WLC 5508 IOS version 7.0.98 I see there is no Field Recovery Image, is this correct ?

Cheers,

Ron

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Serge Yasmine
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume you Q#1 has been addressed above.

For your Q#2 "Second question, with WLC 5508 IOS version 7.0.98 I see there is no Field Recovery Image, is this correct ?"

Yes that is correct

-->

(w-5508-1) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 7.0.98.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1
Field Recovery Image Version..................... N/A

And that is a bug CSCth43373

5508 running 7.0 shows Field recovery images version as N/a

Symptom:
5508 shows Field Recovery Image version as N/A.

Conditions:

Upgrade 5508 to version 7.0.98.0

Workaround:

None

--

You will need to wait for new 7.0 code to be out on Cisco.com

Please do not forget to mark the thread as resolved if you feel your question has been addressed.

Thanks

Serge

View solution in original post

Hello Didik, that is not possible, please refer to my post above.

Thx

Serge

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

nmajeed
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Ron

I'm not sure what you mean by backup of IOS on WLC 5508. You can backup the configuration of the WLC 5508 by using the WLC GUI-->Commands-->Upload-->Configuration and upload the configuration to tftp server. Another way to backup the configuration is to use the CLI of the WLC and issue the command show run-config from the WLC and save it in a test file so you have a backup of the configuration.

I'm not sure about the Field Recovery Image but the boot loader image of the 7.0.98.0 is the same as the 6.0.x software version.

Best Regards

Nasir Majeed.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Field recovery?

Can you explain what you are trying to achieve? 

Serge Yasmine
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I assume you Q#1 has been addressed above.

For your Q#2 "Second question, with WLC 5508 IOS version 7.0.98 I see there is no Field Recovery Image, is this correct ?"

Yes that is correct

-->

(w-5508-1) >show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 7.0.98.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1
Field Recovery Image Version..................... N/A

And that is a bug CSCth43373

5508 running 7.0 shows Field recovery images version as N/a

Symptom:
5508 shows Field Recovery Image version as N/A.

Conditions:

Upgrade 5508 to version 7.0.98.0

Workaround:

None

--

You will need to wait for new 7.0 code to be out on Cisco.com

Please do not forget to mark the thread as resolved if you feel your question has been addressed.

Thanks

Serge

Hi Serge,

Thank you for answering Q2, but Q1 is not answered yet, I know I can back up the configuration of the controller.

I would like to back up the IOS ver 6.0.196.0 that is currently running incase I need to role back.

Cheers,

Ron

Hey Ron, for q1, when you update code on wlc the old is automatically stored in secondary boot space and new code goes to primary boot.

Make a "show boot" on wlc cli.

Anter upgrade od code if u would like to roll back u can do

"config boot secondary" save conf and reboot the wlc

Thank you,

Serge

sent from mobile

didik.indra
Level 1
Level 1

iam also trying to find out how to back up the current ios running on wlc. just for the archive.

maybe just like switch/router. copy to tftp from cli ?

never try, if some one done it please share..

thanks.

Hello Didik, that is not possible, please refer to my post above.

Thx

Serge

Hi Serge,

Thank you for your assistance, it has been helpful and provide the answer that I was looking for.

Regards,

Ron

With pleasurw. Take care.

Thank you,

Serge

sent from mobile

You "can't" backup the WLC firmware other than the same version you downloaded from Cisco Software Download website.

hi , again question....

i've upgraded one of my WLC 4400 to ios 7.x, but the rest still 6.x , this just for testing whether its working or no.

then, what i am worried happen, its not sync with wcs. try to sync, by audit. still not working.one friend said , i need to upgrade wcs to 7.x version also to make wlc and wcs sync and working.

please help if there 's correct way doing it ? since in the wcs already buildig and floor map, another worry i will lost all those things when i upgraded.

thanks alot!!!

yes.. the WCS should always be in the hogher version compaared to the WLC or in the same main release.. so,

if your WLC is in 7.0 then the WCS should be in 7.0 software.. regarding the configuration that it has, you can take the back up and after upgrading you can restore the same..

lemme know if this answered your question..

Regards
Surendra
====
Please dont forget to rate the posts which answered your question and mark it as answered or was helpfull

Regards
Surendra BG
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: