cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Error 442 --endlessly, once again!

spikester
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I have done everything I can figure out to do, and everything I have found here in suggestions.

I have Cisco VPN 5.0.06.0160 installed on both a laptop and PC. The laptop works fine. The PC gets this error: "Secure VPN connection terminated locally by the client. Reason 442. Failed to enable Virtual Adapter." I ran VPN on this very PC back in 2007-08, with no problems at all.

Here are the steps I have taken so far, to no effect whatsoever:

1. From Microsoft Answers I got this, and did it:

a     Open list of your Network connections from control panel

b.    Set the connection for VPN to disable state.

c.    Now connect with VPN (Virtual Private Network) client. ------still Reason 442

Their other suggestion, go to this site. So here I am.

2. I researched and read posts for a long time here, and because of those I did the following:

a. Uninstalled and reinstalled and rebooted, over and over-----still Reason 442.

b. Network connections (XP) >>Cisco VPN Coneection >> Repair this connection-----still Reason 442.

That created this error message: "Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed. TCP/IP is           not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed. Contact the person who manages your network."

3. Uninstalled McAfee, (a brand new install BTW)---hey, I read here that it was the remedy for 442----result?-----still Reason 442.

4. Changed Sharing in Network connections--VPN properties---then I got VPN error 403 "Unable to contact the security gateway." So I changed it back, and-----still Reason 442.

I would really appreciate any more suggestions or ideas. I need it to work from home. I can use the laptop from home, but to me it is ergonomic hell.

Sincere thanks for any ideas, even if they don't work for me.

2 Replies 2

Dennis7X
Level 1
Level 1

I also have Cisco VPN 5.0.06.0160 installed on both a laptop and a PC. The laptop running Windows 7 pro and the desktop running Windows 7 Ultimate. My laptop also work fine. But the PC gets the error: "Secure VPN connection terminated locally by the client. Reason 442. Failed to enable Virtual Adapter." I also ran VPN on this very PC under windows XP SP3, with no problems at all.

After some research I read that Cisco VPN Client 5.x (Updated for Windows VISTA) was broken for this same issue. I plan to monitor this thread via rss. If you find an answer please post it.

Oh well, back to Fedora Linux that works with Cisco VPN 5.0.06.0160

BTW, I also tried all the fixed suggested with no joy. I think this is a Cisco VPN Client 5.0.06.0160 under Windows Vista/7 bug.

mcusine
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have the same problem. i tryed the save solutions and remove and install again some times the vpn client with no effect.

do you have any news or definitly solution?.

Thanks and best regards,

Mauricio