Add-On PKG Applications Available - What Applications Do You Want (Wishlist)

Unanswered Question
Dec 10th, 2010

Today we have multiple applications that run directly on the Smart Storage devices and can be installed via in the simple PKG process.   These are wide ranging applications that help with asset management, content management, e-commerce, web publishing (bulletin boards, wikis, etc), & e-learning systems.

Beyond what is is available now, what applications would you like to see?  We'd love to hear what you'd like to see.

Applications Available Now (version numbers)

• GLPI (0.72.4)
  • Joomla (1.5.15)
  • Magento (1.4.1.1)
  • MediaWiki (1.16.0)
  • Moodle (1.9.9)
  • Open Web Analytics (1.3.1)
  • phpBB (3.0.7)
  • Python (2.5.2)

To Download Add-on PKG Applications:

• Follow this link to the software center
  • Select Network Attached Storage
  • Select Small Business NSS 300 Series Smart Storage
  • Select your model (NSS322, NSS324, NSS326 Smart Storage)
  • Select Smart Storage Application Software
  • Select the version number for the appropriate application
  • Click Download Now

Release Notes for all the available for all applications

Support for free add-on PKG applications is through online community forums.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 5 (7 ratings)
EricLByers Fri, 12/10/2010 - 18:40

Something like rtorrent or some other remote enable bittorrent client.

The python package helps a lot in this regards, but not complete there.

And really the web applications are nice, but a determined developer can get those on, it's the base things (python/ruby/etc) that really extend the usefulness of this device, at least in my opinion.

doishi Sun, 12/12/2010 - 22:20

Eric,

Thanks.  The first group of applications are definitely focused more on end users than developers.  Just to show off the platform potential.  We'll working on more developer focused applications.  This sort of feedback helps us prioritize between the two types of users.

Thanks

James Hawkins Sun, 12/12/2010 - 13:50

SFTP server with GUI supporting multiple users

TFTP server with GUI supporting multiple users

SMTP server

SYSLOG server

App that supports scheduled downloads from Cisco software centre

App to replicate content between Smart Storage devices on a scheduled basis

doishi Sun, 12/12/2010 - 22:27

James,

Great feedback.

Are there any specific SMTP server features/functions that you would require?  Or just having the general fucntionality as an add-on application is good enough?

There is already a SYSLOG server built into the base software for Cisco Smart Storage.

WIthin your administration GUI you can find the Syslog server in Applications > Syslog Server

You can enable/disable the server, setup log settings, email notifications, filters, and of course view the log

Remote Replication between Cisco Smart Storage devices is also already built into the software.

WIthin the administration GUI, go to Backup > Remote Replication

You can setup replication between two devices on a scheduled basis directly from the GUI.

Thanks
libertytechnology Mon, 12/13/2010 - 00:51

Dropbox Client

uTorrent (or similiar with ability to monitor folders for .torrent file)

TwonkyServer

Embedded Cisco Camera software

Support for more than just Mozy (Intronis, Egnyte, S3, for cloud storage)

doishi Mon, 12/13/2010 - 10:46

Ben,

Thanks for the input.

• Second torrent request.  Noted

• For TwonkyServer, are their specific features missing from the OEM Twonky version in the base firmware that you would like to see?  The included Twonky version is meant to meet most peoples needs, but obviously it is not the full featured server.

• For camera software, are there specific features or use cases you would like to see in such application?

Thanks

EricLByers Mon, 12/13/2010 - 10:49

Specifically for twonkyserver, it seems to work pretty well, but the transcoding part of it doesn't seem to work, at least in my configuration?  Maybe I'm doing something wrong, if it doesn't right now, that'd be a nice feature to have.

doishi Mon, 12/13/2010 - 10:52

Eric,

Appreciate for the follow-up.  Transcoding isn't supported in the OEM/Basic license included.  I'll look into this for the future.

Thanks.

MrMessageWriter Mon, 12/13/2010 - 07:14

I would like a nice pkg for:

1. Subversion

2. Bugzilla (or another issue tracking system)

doishi Mon, 12/13/2010 - 10:48

Sean,

Both of those are straightfoward requests.

Thanks

sijacob Thu, 12/16/2010 - 23:23

Hi Doishi,

There are some updates on the twonky media server which I'm looking for, in twonkyserver6.0.30.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/downloads/6.0.30/ seems to list some files. Could you please help with the correct

file and how to do the upgrade(a guide if available) on my NSS 324? QNAP is giving update via .qpkg file @

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8913

When the package is available for download from twonky website, from a user perspective it doesnt feel good if I'm not able to update my system. Hope Cisco documentation for this product will be updated soon with all these details, like for other products.

Thanks

Sijin

klaas.dejong Mon, 12/20/2010 - 12:58

Hello,

I just bought an NSS 326 after having used QNAP, Thecus and Synology NASses in the last couple of years.

What bothers me is that no NAS has an Active Directory implementation.

I don't mean that the NAS becomes a member of AD but the NAS itself can have the role as a Active Directory Master.

So for me that would be an interesting Add-On package for the NSS 3xx Series.

At least that is on my wishlist.

Regards,

Klaasdj

doishi Mon, 12/20/2010 - 13:36

Thanks for the input.  Looks like you have tested out lots of NAS products.  Anything that helps differentiate the good from the bad?  As for the domain controller, I agree it would be nice to get rid of  Windows Server running just for the sake of AD.  We'll monitor the Samba4 domain controller and see how viable that becomes in the future.

ognian.tschakal... Wed, 12/22/2010 - 04:40

Hello,

at the moment I'm missing most the xdove and java packages ;-)

After that a CalDav and GroupDav Server would enable Calender and Contacts Support ...

And a DNS Server would be also great.

Thanks

Ognian

doishi Wed, 12/22/2010 - 10:39

Ognian,

Thanks for the input.  Very interesting to see how many of the requests are application related (CalDAV) versus network (DNS) versus foundational (JAVA).  You've got a little bit of everything in your wishlist.

libertytechnology Wed, 12/22/2010 - 11:20

Really enabling the nss to use the already existing packages that are available for the qnaps would be the smartest use of time and resources.

Sent from my Android phone using TouchDown (www.nitrodesk.com)

doishi Wed, 12/22/2010 - 11:54

Ben,

Thanks.  There is good and bad to both approaches.  But point heard.

tweetz Wed, 12/22/2010 - 10:12

hello,

i want the nss as only machine which is always powered on. therefor i would need some features

the ability to send magic packet frames for wake on lan

a name server and email server

a name server to manage the local names as soa and forward any other queries to official name servers

at the moment this is working on a linux system with bind

a mail server ( imap(s) / pop3(s) / smtp(s) ) for the local network with forward and get (as client) to an isp mailserver

like this

mail client <---LAN---> nss <---@---> internet mail server <---@---> rest of the internet

at the moment this is working on a linux system with postfix, dovecot and getmail

would be great if the nss could do this

greetings

tweetz

doishi Wed, 12/22/2010 - 10:42

Tweetz,

Looks like email server and DNS are the popular requests today.    Thanks for the extra level of detail for your use case.  For the Wake on LAN request, you are looking for the Smart Storage to wake other devices on the network?

tweetz Wed, 12/22/2010 - 11:35

correct. the smart storage should wake workstations in the local network.

but i don't know if there is a need to build an application package therefor.

should be possible to create a web based application running on the nss webserver to do this job.

i'll try that as soon as my ordered nss arrive

greetings

tweetz

doishi Wed, 12/22/2010 - 11:52

Tweetz,

Post back on your wake on LAN solution.  A simple php web app or phyton app should be able to do this.

Thanks

smunzani@munzani.com Thu, 01/27/2011 - 11:35

Please make it one more. I would love to see mail and DNS server in there too. Small businesses would love those features.

alphanavigation Thu, 12/23/2010 - 11:44

Hi,

I've got NSS322 model and would like to have support for Firebird database server there.

Is it possible by chance?

Thanking you in advance.

doishi Mon, 01/03/2011 - 09:53

Anna,

Thanks for the post.   What is the specific attraction to Firebird over mySQL which is already embedded in the Smart Storage platform?

alphanavigation Mon, 01/03/2011 - 10:15

doishi, thanks for reply.

we've got corporate database powered by Firebird.

i wish i could dispose of firebird server if it will be possible to arrange support of firebird on our new NSS322)

Thanking you in advance.

doishi Wed, 01/19/2011 - 15:16

The community admin helped to move your post to the VPN discussion.  Hopefully someone familiar with VPN can point you in the right direction.  For storage questions, post here and we'll help out.

MTruman07 Mon, 01/31/2011 - 04:51

Any chance for some AntiVirus Software like ClamAV. Don't know if that would take up too many resources or if that comes under PKG applications?

doishi Mon, 01/31/2011 - 11:13

Thanks for the input on anti-virus.  What are you trying to do with ClamAV?  Real-time scanning of files downloaded directly to the Smart Storage device? Scheduled scanning just for an extra layer of protection in case a computer isn't scanning files properly, etc.

You might want to check out the thread on Optware.  https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2064420?tstart=0

There is a ClamAV package built for Optware that will run on Smart Storage.  I don't know of anyone who has tried it, but might be something to look into for the short term.

myersmathis Wed, 02/02/2011 - 05:35

Something major for customers would be Quickbooks Pro Server support and the same for Peachtree.

Also, LMTOOLS for CAD network license management would be nice. Lots of engineering clients we have still have to maintain a small server just to serve up CAD licenses.

doishi Thu, 02/03/2011 - 10:23

Matthew,

Thanks for the comments.

I've heard requests for the QuickBooks database server to be placed on the Smart Storage.  I haven't heard of LMTOOLS for the CAD licenses, but I'll look into it.

mangomktg Fri, 02/04/2011 - 03:32

Hi there, as a freelancer, I use this for both work and play...

I really feel that it would be useful to enable installation of qnap qpkg applications. It's the same box after all???

What I would really like is the following packages:

• PS3 media server
  • twonky media server - with licence for video transcoding and audio transcoding e.g. for MKV files
  • A decent nzb application (nzbgetweb or similar)
    • Do you really expect most of the world to know how to telnet / ssh, enable root access to install and run these applications?
    • Do you really expect most of the world to want to create scripts / run these apps from the command line?
    • I wouldnt call myself a non techy - in fact, i have a CCNA, but this is way beyond me. Maybe offer a bit of support on installing 3rd party applications and running them if you will not be providing a nice gui.

Many thanks

doishi Fri, 02/04/2011 - 09:12

Ahmet,

Thanks for the input.  The reality is there is an unlimited amount of features and applications that can be enabled on the Smart Storage platform.  This discussion is just helping Cisco hear back from partners and users on what they are using and what would be useful in the future.  Helps prioritize development plans.

Releasing add-on PKGs like Optware definitely make it easier to enable new features/function/applications such as an nzb application.  I know it's not ideal.  Ideally everything would be a PKG download and install.  Helpful to some, but not all.

QPKG support is not planned.

Your application requests are similar to others on this thread.  We'll evaluate and prioritize.

Thank again

mhl_digivox Mon, 02/07/2011 - 18:05

Hi, would love to see Squeezebox Server included in the supported apps...

Cheers

doishi Fri, 02/11/2011 - 08:38

Thanks for the input.  Always good to hear what media solutions everyone has interest in.

In the short term, there is an Optware iPKG available for SqueezeCenter.  You might want to read the thread on Optware.  This takes a bit of command line knowledge to get this installed.  You also need to install the Optware PKG application.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2064420?tstart=0

marfonedaniele Sun, 02/13/2011 - 12:24

Hi, after that i've restored my NSS 324 to the factory settings, i've  lost the phpmyadmin package, where i can take it?? on the download page  of cisco there isn't this file but it is in my NAS when i've turned on  for the first time!

Sorry for my english...

doishi Thu, 02/17/2011 - 09:49

When you factory default your unit, the system deletes all user data.  The pre-installed PKGs are part of the user data.  So it gets deleted.  Do a firmware upgrade (or just go through the process of firmware upgrade but use the same firmware version you already have).  That should reinstall the original pre-installed PKGs again.

chidcp999 Thu, 02/24/2011 - 03:27

Hi, I'd been considering replacing my old NAS with a CISCO NSS 322 for a while, for my small business use. The one sticking point was that I needed Squeezecenter Server to run on it, as the NAS has to be able to stream music to my Squeezbox player in the house.

When I saw the previous comments about being able to install Optware and then install Squeezecenter via that, I decided the NSS 322 met my requirements, so I've just purchased one. I can get Squeezcenter installed via Optware and it starts and runs just fine - until I reboot the NAS!

When I reboot the NAS, my default /slimserver folder disappears! The Optware package by default install into /home/slimserver and I've also tried changing the default to /usr/slimserver, but that disappears on reboot as well! It seems the NSS is deleting anything it does not know belongs to itself in these directories.

So the bottom line, is what directory can/should I be installing /slimserver into, or how do I stop /slimserver being deleted on reboot?

Thanks

Clive

chidcp999 Fri, 02/25/2011 - 02:08

OK, I've got Squeezeserver running now. For anyone interested, most files are automatically installed under /opt/share/squeezecenter, which seems fine. I had to move the files/directories that Optware installed under /home/slimserver to /opt/share/slimserver and edit /opt/etc/squeezecenter.conf to change the references from /home/slimserver to /opt/share/slimserver.

That allowed Squeezecenter to be started and retained all the runtime files across the NAS restart.

Then I had problems getting it to autostart after the NAS boots. I tried the example under the Cisco tech note about 'add your own entries to crontab', to create an autorun.sh script to issue the start command, but could not get it to work.

Then I found this link http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Install_Optware_IPKG and pretty much followed the instructions in the 'Running /opt/etc/init.d/* on startup' section. I'm no Linux expert, but I managed to get it working, without necessarily fully understanding it!

So finally Squeezecenter is running and autostarts - but hopefully Cisco will release an official add on in the near future.

Let me know if anyone wants amore detailed description.

smunzani@munzani.com Sat, 02/26/2011 - 17:58

Can Cisco NAS can fetch the data from various rsync servers? I used to use FreeNAS to do this task very successfully where all my PCs ran Deltacopy rsync server app. The FreeNAS had various jobs that replicated data from all desktops to the FreeNAS successfully.

I tried doing rsync from desktop(using deltacopy client) to the NAS but that prompts for password everytime. I want this password less so its scheduled to run unattended.

I tried various softwares with NAS and none of them are satisfactory including Cisco's continuous data protection(doesn't run on 64 bit).

Thanks,

Sam

doishi Mon, 02/28/2011 - 09:39

Sam,

You can definitely rsync multiple devices to a single Smart Storage devices.  We have tested this using Smart Storage devices sending files to another Smart Storag device.  Smart Storage allows you to enter and save the passwords in the replication job.  Looks like you just need to find an appropriate computer client that saves the passwords for you.

smunzani@munzani.com Mon, 02/28/2011 - 09:49

I was doing rsync from a shell script on Mac and Linux. I guess I that will not work with NAS now and may have to find something that

saves passwords.

Can NAS be the rsync client at all? That might be easier.

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted December 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM
Stats:
Replies:94 Avg. Rating:5
Views:13614 Votes:0
Shares:0

Related Content