cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst Switch 2960 with unmanaged switch

ssnickson
Level 1
Level 1

I have cisco switch 2960 and a unmanaged switch etherwan. please find the attached datasheet for your reference on the unmanaged switch. Now i using SPF module (Fibre) to connect the Gig port to the Fibre port of the unmanaged switch. The port of the unmanaged switch is not an Gig port it is 100Fx.

1. I have checked the connection by using RJ45 link in cisco switch and the unmanged switch. I managed to ping
  2. When i connect the switch using the Gig port using fiber module i cannot ping
  3. I do know that we can buy a Gig port unmanaged switch. But in this case we have already bought the hardware

Need your advice on how to solve this issue. I need the solution for this as soon as possible

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

GLC-GE-100FX is not supported on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-S, 2960-8TC-L, or 2960G-8TC-L switches.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

letsgomets
Level 1
Level 1

On a 2960 the fiber optic ports are Gigabit ports. They will only connect at 1Gig.

100FX will not work.

Connect the ports up

Logon to the 2960 console and do the following command

"show interface g?/?"

Does it show a status of up/up and what is the speed it is connected at?

I think that is the problem you are running into.

Actaully I m using 2960-24TC-L I have attched the copy of table which i got from Cisco Website.

it stated there that GLC-FE-100FX

Description: Operates on ordinary multimode fiber-optic(MMF) link spans up to 2 kilometerslong. For 100Mbps Ethernet ports

and also i got to the that 2960 is supporting GLC-FE-100FX so does that mean if i buy GLC-FE-100FX SFP module it should be able to work?

If i stated anything wrong please advice me

Information i got from Datasheet

Cisco Catalyst 2960-S and 2960 with SFP-based ports:

10BASE-T ports: RJ-45 connectors, 2-pair Category 3, 4, or 5 UTP cabling

100BASE-TX ports: RJ-45 connectors, 2-pair Category 5 UTP cabling

1000BASE-T ports: RJ-45 connectors, 4-pair Category 5 UTP cabling

1000BASE-T SFP-based ports**: RJ-45 connectors, 4-pair Category 5 UTP cabling

1000BASE-SX -LX/LH, -ZX, -BX, -T,* -FX,* and CWDM SFP-based ports: LC fiber connectors (single/multimode fiber)

100BASE-LX, -BX, -FX SFP-based ports: LC fiber connectors (single/multimode fiber)

GLC-T and GLC-GE-100FX are not supported on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-S, 2960-8TC-L, or 2960G-8TC-L switches.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

GLC-GE-100FX is not supported on the Cisco Catalyst 2960-8TC-S, 2960-8TC-L, or 2960G-8TC-L switches.

Actaully i m using 2960-24TC-L so will it work?

Yes it should.

So if i get GLC-FE-100FX SFP module and plug it in 2960-24TC-L and Then can i work to link between unmanaged switch and Cisco Switch. The unmanaged switch is 100FX

Yes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco