Views
Helpful
Replies

UC500, Remote sites and teleworkers

Ojasvi Bansal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have to design a VoIP solution for about 30 phones. 12 are in location A, 6 in location B, 5 in Location C, 2 in Location D and about 5 teleworkers (soft phone). The needs are presence and Video for sure. They also want to tie Webex with phones as they do a lot of meeting in conferencing.

Here's what I am thinking as a proposal.

UC560 at Location A - Use 4 Analog Lines and rest SIP trunks. Location B and C would be fed from here.

800 series in Location B and C -  Create IPSEC VPN back to UC560. Use SIP trunks for DIDs and outgoing calls on UC560.

UC520 at Location D - Create IPSEC tunnel back to UC560 Use 2 analog lines (Since I cannot get DIDs for this location on SIP Trunks)

IP communicator for 5 remote users with anyconnect VPN.

Would this work? Would I hit any limitation on UC500 part here in regards to local area code or VPN or Dial-peer?

I am thinking of installing Smart Call connector (presence) as well.

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Regards
OJ

9 Replies 9

mcasimirc63
Level 4
Level 4

Sorry, but Webex integration is a Call Manager feature.  The VPN tunnels you want to create take up a lot of bandwidth and I would measure that out first.  Do you have a visio diagram of this? Are you located in the US?

Hello Marcus,

Thanks for your reply.

With Webex, I meant to say scheduling and reminder from the phone. I have attached the Visio Diagram. We are located in Canada.

Thanks

-OJ

Can you save this Visio diagram as Visio XML?  Thanks.

Done.

David Hornstein
Level 7
Level 7

My comments are in red

I have to design a VoIP solution for about 30 phones. 12 are in location A, 6 in location B, 5 in Location C, 2 in Location D and about 5 teleworkers (soft phone). The needs are presence and Video for sure.  You therefore need Smart Call Connector Server software and advanced clients for phone presence, as you mentioned below.

They also want to tie Webex with phones as they do a lot of meeting in conferencing

Here's what I am thinking as a proposal.

UC560 at Location A - Use 4 Analog Lines and rest SIP trunks. Location B and C would be fed from here.

800 series in Location B and C -  Create IPSEC VPN back to UC560. Use SIP trunks for DIDs and outgoing calls on UC560.  Remember that we only support 5 phones not six in a branch office arrangement such as this. So site B will not work.

UC520 at Location D UC540 is more cost effective and supported by the same support team that looks after the UC560, but with two phone at site 2 seems more practical to use a SR520 series product rather than a fully blown UC520.

- Create IPSEC tunnel back to UC560 Use 2 analog lines (Since I cannot get DIDs for this location on SIP Trunks)

IP communicator for 5 remote users with anyconnect VPN.

Would this work? Would I hit any limitation on UC500 part here in regards to local area code or VPN or Dial-peer?

Because  ISR2900 with CME don't suffer from the limitations of only 5 phones at a remote site B, why not use a ISR CME solution such as the ISR 2900 CME bundle  series as a hub for this spoke network. They will aslo support the anyconnect VPN client and the Unified call connector Server and client for presence functionality.  If you are a cisco VAR or partner,  ring up Cisco and speak with the folks at the Partner help line to discuss SKU's and your requireemnts needed or ring your local distributor, they should also be able to provide pre-sales support so you can mentally get a better feel for the solution.

there is a great delopyment guide that discusses limitations and hardware at smart designs

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/sell/smb/tools_and_resources/smart_business_comm_system.html#implement

one application note seems to hit the 'nail on the head' in terms of specifying limits and showing a Cisco validated design.

SBCS 2.0 Application Note: Adding Remote Workers

Seasons Greetings 

regards Dave

I am thinking of installing Smart Call connector (presence) as well.

I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Regards

OJ

Thanks for your reply David,

Location D - on the SR520 Series product, my understanding is that it wouldn't support analog trunks. So I have to put something that would support Analog trunks. I agree that I should be looking at 540 and not 520.

Location A - Would an 1861 work here in terms of VPN resources, license and horsepower? Would I be able to integrate Webex feature on the phone with ISR CME?

Regards

-OJ

Hi OJ

Location D - on the SR520 Series product, my understanding is that it wouldn't support analog trunks. So I have to put something that would support Analog trunks. I agree that I should be looking at 540 and not 520.

Location A - Would an 1861 work here in terms of VPN resources, license and horsepower? Would I be able to integrate Webex feature on the phone with ISR CME?

UC500 supports the webex integration called webex phone connect, see the feature reference guide for UC540 for confirmation, the feature is descrived briefly in the following document;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6882/ps10585/cisco_sbcs__fdg_c07-557625-02_.pdf

Here is my concern, if you want to put in a 1861 at the HUB of this network,  it means to me that you can or are authorized to  deploy a ISR CME solution using traditional ISR routers...that's great.

If you have a ISR1861 at the hub and a Uc540 at a spoke location (d), what will happen when they may be a communications issue between the two sites during installation.

You ring Cisco TAC and the TAC engineers are used to working with CLI and not Cisco configuration Assistant (CCA).   They wont be inclined to look at the UC540, but if they do they may attack the unit with CLI to get the IPSec and Dial peers working.

Cisco TAC wont use  Cisco configuration assistant (version 3 is out now).   Hey man, even i prefer to use CCA for all my UC500 deployments.  It just makes like so so much easier.

If you are going to stick with a ISR CME solution then go for it, but if you are going to use a UC500 solution in part of that setup, I would strongly suggest for tech support reasons don't.   Stick with all  traditional Cisco solution or a all Cisco Small Business solution.

Site B with 6 phones (not 5) almost compels you to look at a ISR CME solution with smartnet or smartcare for support.

Regards

-OJ

Hi OJ

Hello David

This is the first time I am using SBCS discussion forum and I must say its working.

Location  D - on the SR520 Series product, my understanding is that it wouldn't  support analog trunks. So I have to put something that would support  Analog trunks. I agree that I should be looking at 540 and not 520.

Location  A - Would an 1861 work here in terms of VPN resources, license and  horsepower? Would I be able to integrate Webex feature on the phone with  ISR CME?

UC500  supports the webex integration called webex phone connect, see the  feature reference guide for UC540 for confirmation, the feature is  descrived briefly in the following document;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6882/ps10585/cisco_sbcs__fdg_c07-557625-02_.pdf

I am aware of UC500 supporting Webex Phone connect. I have never seen it working on CME on ISR through CCP or CLI

Here  is my concern, if you want to put in a 1861 at the HUB of this  network,  it means to me that you c

an or are authorized to  deploy a ISR  CME solution using traditional ISR routers...that's great.

Yes we are authorized to deploye ISR CME solutions

If  you have a ISR1861 at the hub and a Uc540 at a spoke location (d), what  will happen when they may be a communications issue between the two  sites during installation.

You ring Cisco TAC and the TAC engineers are used to working with CLI and not Cisco configuration Assistant (CCA).   They  wont be inclined to look at the UC540, but if they do they may attack  the unit with CLI to get the IPSec and Dial peers working.

Cisco TAC wont use  Cisco configuration assistant (version 3 is out  now).   Hey man, even i prefer to use CCA for all my UC500 deployments.   It just makes like so so much easier.

I know CCA is so easier to use.

If  you are going to stick with a ISR CME solution then go for it, but if  you are going to use a UC500 solution in part of that setup, I would  strongly suggest for tech support reasons don't.   Stick with all   traditional Cisco solution or a all Cisco Small Business solution.

Site B with 6 phones (not 5) almost compels you to look at a ISR CME solution with smartnet or smartcare for support.

I think I can use a 1861 and a UC520 (TAC supports it). The reason I don't want to go with ISRs all the way is because most of it is CLI and its hard for end users to make changes on the system. The other reason is that ISRs are expensive as compared to UC500. I will keep your suggestions in mind and design the system that way.

Regards

-OJ

Hey David,

Based on your recommendation, I have created another config. Could you please take a look at the drawing and suggest if that would work or not.

Thanks

-OJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: