Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch configuration help

teixeira.jpt
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I just started configuring my cisco catalyst 2950 switch. Basically im preparing for my CCENT exams my basic configuration is as follows.

My Laptop is connected to the console port

I'm connected to the internet via my wireless

I'm connected to the switch port via my NIC card

------

I have configured the host name .

I have configured VTY , Vlan 1  etc

Now i have configured an ip for the router and a subnet mask ( i just made a class c adress up and gave it a class c subnet mask)

For the default gateway i wasnt sure what to put so i just put the one i currently use on my wireless connection

I configured all the passwords etc required but when i try to telnet i can't im pretty sure my passwords etc are all well configured i think i messed at the ip/gateway stage of things because i dont know if when i telnet using tera term it try's through my internet connection as opposed down the wire.

if you could offer any help that would be great.

p.s im using windows7

4 Replies 4

Mahesh Gohil
Level 7
Level 7

Hello ,

The G/W of PC should not be of wireless connection. It should be IP of vlan1 configured in switch.

Regards

mahesh

So my configuration should be

pc connected via rj45 cable to switch and switch connected via rj45 cable from any port to my home (linksys router) in one of the switch port's in the router which is then connected to the wan ?

many thanks

Hi Joao,

I think you do not have a clear concept on routing, so you are not sure what should config as default gateway. Also your provided information were not enough. If you can provide below information, it will be better.

1.) ip, net mask & default gateway of your laptop. (both wireless & wired)

2.) 2950 ip, net mask & default gateway.

3.) linksys router ip & net mask on LAN interface.

Also make sure:

1.) no ACL on vty.

2.) "login" enabled on vty.

3.) successfully ping each device on 2950.

PC---2960 sw----linksys router---internet

If this is your set up, 2960 will just be a layer 2 device. PC default gateway would be ip adress on router. The 2960 also will have default gateway set to the router. The vlan with ip on switch will be used as management. all the ports on switch i believe would be a layer 2. using the management vlan ip you should be able to telnet to the switch.

From PC , can you ping your switch ?

for your ref:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_configuration_example09186a00801cac4c.shtml

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco