cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Deployment with DWDM and ASR9000

tona_2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, i need your help!.  I have a customer that wants to connect 3 sites with a DWDM ring. The customer has one ASR9000 with 4 XFPS with 2 diferent lambdas and two pasive ONS15216 mux demux patch panel per each site. The customer wants to use 2 lambdas or 2 channels for communnicate the 3 sites.  The ONS15216 mux demux, has tha capacity up to 40 channels. So i need to know how to configure ASr9000 with DWDM and transmit 3 virtual networks into one lambda, and another 3 virtual networks into the other lambda. someone knows how to do this?

Thanks

12 Replies 12

xthuijs
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Tona,

you need to have the specific DWDM capable XFP's, but let's assume that that is all set, then you need to configure 2 parts:

under the controller dwdm 0/0/0/0 (assuming the first 10G port on an LC in slot 0)

the dwdm specific parts

and then underneath the interface te 0/0/0/0 you need to configure the transport mode WAN.

If you need EFEC/g709 then you need the optics pie and a license also.

xander

Hi Xander,

Actually Im having a similar scenario, our asr9k has a A9K-8T/4-L linecard in wich a DWDM-XFP-C is installed in port 0/0/0/0. The XR version is 4.0.1

When I try to configure the port as transport mode wan, it cant commit, the message says: !!% Invalid argument: Not supported.

What could be the reason?  I copy the outputs:

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(config)#int ten 0/0/0/0
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(config-if)#transport-mode wan
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(config-if)#commit

% Failed to commit one or more configuration items during a pseudo-atomic operation. All changes made have been reverted. Please issue 'show configuration failed' from this session to view the errors
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(config-if)#
RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(config-if)#show conf failed
Wed Mar 28 00:53:03.349 UTC
!! SEMANTIC ERRORS: This configuration was rejected by
!! the system due to semantic errors. The individual
!! errors with each failed configuration command can be
!! found below.

interface TenGigE0/0/0/0
transport-mode wan
!!% Invalid argument: Not supported

!
end

RP/0/RSP0/CPU0:ios(config-if)#

Hi Carlos,

I'm afraid oversubscribed card such as the A9K-8T/4-L don't support WANPHY.   You would need a A9K-8T-L for that.

Max

Hi Alexander,

I'm going to change one 7600 by one ASR9010 and the 7600 has DWDM interfaces with XENPAK-DWDM modules. On ASR9010 we have tunable Cisco DWDM XFP modules, so this ones should be configured only by adjusting the Tx wavelength. It is correct?

In Rx side if we have receiver optical input wavelength between 1530nm and 1565nm, should the tunable XFP work?

Regards,

Jaime

Correct you have to adjust the wavelength to match the remote guy. Note that it is best to configure based on wavelength, not on itu channel, because the itu mapping the a9k uses is the same as crs which is not always the same as other ends. hence wavelength is the most safe one.

the optic spec is here on the dwdm-xfp-c, it is a rebranded ONS one:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/optical/ps5724/ps2006/brochure_c02-452560.html

regards!

xander

Hi Xander,

Do the asr9k platform has any type of restrictions regarding de number of DWDM XFPS present in a tengig linecard?

Say for example, is fully supported a configuration with a 8x10G low queue line card, with 8x DWDM XFPs inserted?

Want to stay sure the asr9k does not have any restrictions with the number of DWDM modules per linecard that the CRS still has.

Thanks,

Carlos Trujillo.

hi carlos, there is no limitation as to the number of dwdm xfp's you can have installed.

xander

Hi Alex,

I am runing 4.2.x and have A9K-8T-L and A9K-2T20GE-L modules with DWDM-XFC-C and it is connected to M6 chassis and link is up through DWDM.

now I need to discover the virtual transponder in CTC. In M6 configuration it says I need to configure LMP. Do we need to have any out of band connectivity between ASR9K and ONS-15454 M6 ? if yes, what are the ports to use in both the devices ? the DWDM document is bit confusing and appreciate if you can help on this. DWDM runs on 9.3

Rgds

Harin

Harin,

9K dwdm optics support LMP, but it is very minimal and used as a verification of sorts for VTXP.

No out of band config or interfaces needed.

There is no configuration associated with it.

If you are just looking for the transponder information from the 9k, the 9k has the entity mib which is included in the

mgbl pie that you can use.

Finally I want to mention that when you configure the channel on the 9k, I recently found out there are 2 different ITU tables.

The 9k follows suit with the CRS, but that is not what many optical devices use.

Easiest and safest is to use the Wavelength to make sure they match.

regards

xander

Hi Xander,

Thanks for the feedback. Do you mean to say the procedure in below link will only be able to show ASR9K in CTC and no configurations can be made through CTC ?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/optical/15000r9_3/dwdm/configuration/guide/454d93_turnupnetwork.html#wp595598

Rgds

Harin

Hi Xander,

Currently we have the following type of interface in a 7609:

Te9/1 ---> 10G DWDM-42.14

Now we are going to change to a ASR and my question is how can I configure the tunable Cisco DWDM XFP module:

Is it correct this configuration?:

Controller dwdm0/0/0/2

wavelength 1542.14

admin-state in-service

Regards,

Jaime.

Jaime, correct, that should be all there is to it. Also take note of the earlier comment on the ITU tables which may be skewed if you're talking to a non XR device. considering you are using wavelength directly, you should be all fine.

xander

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: