Views
Helpful
Replies

Number Type and Numbering Plan

JustForVoice_2
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

Any body can help me to understand why I need to use Numbering type and Numbering Plan?

Regards,

6 Replies 6

nitsinha
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

A numbering  plan identifies each VoIP endpoint and application in the network with a unique  telephone number. Numbering plan design should evaluate both current  requirements and potential growth requirements to avoid the need to renumber as  more users connect to the voice network. There are diffrent types of numbering plans like E.164 plan(International public numbering plan),national numbering plans and private numbering plans. More of this can be read at the link below

http://ciscoarticles.com/Voice-Over-IP/721.html

As far as the number type is concerned, every subscriber in a mobile network is uniquely  identified by a mobile station ISDN or public switched telephone network  (PSTN) number. The type of Number(TON) is used for many purposes, one of which is for billing the end users.

The TON information is displayed as an attribute-value (AV) pair in the  AAA accounting records that are sent to the RADIUS server for billing purposes. The format  is as follows:

caller-type-of-number=value

The value can be any of the following, which are specified in the  International Telecommunication Union Telecommunication Standardization  Sector (ITU-T) specification Q.931 dated March 1993.

National—refer to ITU-T Recommendation I.330

International—refer to ITU-T Recommendation I.330

Subscriber (local)—refer to ITU-T Recommendation I.330

Network  specific—an administrative or service number that is specific to the  serving network (for example, a number used to access an operator)

Unknown—the user or the network has no knowledge of the type of number.

HTH

Regards

Nitesh

PS: Please rate helpful posts

dijohn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

To add to that

The Numbering Plan Indicator (NPI) is a number which is defined in the ITU standard Q.713, paragraph 3.4.2.3.3, indicating the numbering plan of the attached telephone number. NPIs can be found in SCCP and SMS messages. As of 2004 the following numbering plans and their respective Numbering Plan Indicator values have been defined:
NPI     Description     Standard
0     unknown    
1     ISDN Telephony     E.164
2     generic
3     data     X.121
4     telex     F69
5     maritime mobile     E.210 and E.211
6     land mobile     E.212
7     ISDN/mobile     E.214

Thank you all for you reply,

Till now I am not able to understand why to use Numbering Plan

Nitesh said one of the puposes is billing.

Does it mean that CDR cotains these information and billing server will take these information and then we can configure billing server to use it?

I need to know more about these purposes

In CUCM I have the following options:

• Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
  • Unknown.
  • National.
  • International.
  • Subscriber.

I saw some scenarios where PSTN send these information to CUCM, I think it is only applicable if it is PRI?

but I expect Subscriber (local), National and International from PSTN, So what about Cisco Unified Communication Manager and Unknown?

FOR NUMBERING PLAN, in CUCM help

Options:

• Cisco Unified Communications Manager-Use when the Cisco Unified Communications Manager sets the Numbering Plan in the directory number.
  • ISDN-Use when you are dialing outside the dialing plan for your country.
  • National Standard-Use when you are dialing within the dialing plan for your country.
  • Private-Use when you are dialing within a private network.
  • Unknown-Use when the dialing plan is unknown.

I am still confused

Could you refer Pg.125

http://books.google.com/books?id=YMas7A3E65MC&lpg=PA124&ots=qy0v_g2awx&dq=Calling%20Party%20Number%20Type%20cisco%20callmanager&pg=PA125#v=onepage&q=Calling%20Party%20Number%20Type%20cisco%20callmanager&f=false

That should clear your doubts about Numbering plan "Cisco CallManager"

I will try to dig more info for you on this..

Usually these type/plan comes into play in Globalization/localization.

Are you aware of these dial plan configs?..

HTH

PS: Rate Useful posts.!

Thank you too much for your support,

I have this book and I will read and review this part.

regarding globalization and localizattion, yes I am aware of these configs, and numbering type it is very helpful in GW to prefix the incomming calling party.

I will go throgh the book and for sure I am waiting your support, and thanks again

Regards,

Nice...I am happy that it helped.!

Preparing for your ccie is it?. I am also on the same boat

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: