Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 3945E Maximum Throughput Potential

m.haran
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Am looking at purchasing a router that is capable of serving a WAN bearer at up to 1Gbps.  The 3945E has had good reviews as a high throughput router but the datasheets suggests performance of 350Mbps.  It also states that additional performance can be ensured by adding SPE modules.  Does anyone know whether the 3945E could achieve up to 1Gbps with SPE modules?

If the 3945E can't achieve such performance, I would appreciate alternative model suggestions.  The key features I am after are:

IPV4 and IPV6 support

L2tpV3 support

BGP

IP SLA

1Gb Copper Connections on-board with capability of at least 4 Ports

Regards

Mike

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Check official performance white paper.

Router has 1 NPE, you cannot add any more.

It would be safer to have the ASR1000 (ASR1001) which offers 2.5Gbps and scalable to 5gbps

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Am looking at purchasing a router that is capable of serving a WAN bearer at up to 1Gbps.

The ASR range is your best bet.  It will do >1Gbs per interface as compared to the 3945E.

Mathias Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

Have you looked at the new 4451-X ISR?

Supposedly the same pricing as the 3945E,  but with 1-2gpbs+ performance. 

Also with very low impact when turning on features in comparision with the older ISR routers. 

I saw a presentation about it on Cisco Live Virtual. 

Edit: Sigh.. replying to a necro thread. :(

I know.  Sometimes you just get so excited to be able to contribute that you don't look at the date posted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: