Views
Helpful
Replies

Nexus 7000 copy run start "config change is already in progress"

jbraat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have an N7k with redundant supervisors.

After a copy run start command was aborted (ctrl-c) because it took to mutch time, we can no longer save te configuration.

n7k# copy run startup-config
Configuration update aborted: another request for config change is already in progress
n7k# sh startup-config
configuration change in progress

We tried reloading the standby supervisor, but it won't boot anymore.

The switch is only live for 4 weeks and i hate to have to powercycle it already.

Does anyone have an idea how to recover from this?

Thanks,

Jacco

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

habadr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jacco,

What is the NX-OS version that you are running. I think you are hitting a bug (CSCtj44206).

From the bug toolkit

"N7K-reg : 5.1.1 S37: copy r s aborted due to timeout.

Symptom:

The utaker klm queue overflows. A syslog of this format will be seen in the supervisor's show logging output.

%KERN-2-SYSTEM_MSG: Utaker overflowed. Size -40/5242880 - kernel

Conditions:

One of the conditions when this can happen is when a large number of processes exit/crash.

Workaround(s):

Reloading the relevant supervisor is the workaround. If the issue is seen on the active sup, then perform a switchover. If seen on the standby sup, reload the standby module."

It is fixed in 5.1.2

Thanks

Hatim Badr

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

habadr
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jacco,

What is the NX-OS version that you are running. I think you are hitting a bug (CSCtj44206).

From the bug toolkit

"N7K-reg : 5.1.1 S37: copy r s aborted due to timeout.

Symptom:

The utaker klm queue overflows. A syslog of this format will be seen in the supervisor's show logging output.

%KERN-2-SYSTEM_MSG: Utaker overflowed. Size -40/5242880 - kernel

Conditions:

One of the conditions when this can happen is when a large number of processes exit/crash.

Workaround(s):

Reloading the relevant supervisor is the workaround. If the issue is seen on the active sup, then perform a switchover. If seen on the standby sup, reload the standby module."

It is fixed in 5.1.2

Thanks

Hatim Badr

Thanks Hatim,

this looks like the problem we have. We are running 5.1(1a) and i see a "utaker" message in the logs.

However the sollution in the bug toolkit about reloading the supervisor is a problem. We tried reloading te standby and now it is stuck in powered-up state. So we can't switchover and restart the current active supervisor anymore. I guess we have to restart the chassis.

Again thanks for the input,

Jacco

Has any other workaround been identified to kill the hung process?  I am facing the same issue, but I fear my

startup-config may be corrupt and when I power cycle the chassis, it will boot into an unconfigured state.

Sorry. I haven't found any.

srinraja
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I have similar problem where difference of running config are not copied to startup.

Device having OS version with Nexus7000 5.0.3. Am i hitting the same bug got fixed in 5.1.2 version?

Sh run

======

version 5.0(3)

boot kickstart bootflash:/n7000-s1-kickstart.5.0.3.bin sup-1

boot kickstart bootflash:/n7000-s1-kickstart.5.0.3.bin sup-2

Thanks

Srini R

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: