cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3750 Switch Stack - Replacing Failed Switch

dvaggalis
Level 1
Level 1

I have switch stacks with a mix of 24/48 port, PoE/Non-PoE switch types.  I plan  on using a common spare 48 port PoE, if my 24 port PoE switch fails, will the provision config be used for the first 24 ports and then the default config for the remaining 25-48 ports?

In addition to setting the Priority level to 15, do I need to config the stack member number on my spare switch or will it assume the number of the failed switch?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

What I am trying to accomplish is replace a failed 24 port switch, including the existing configuration.  I want to be able to install the 48 port switch, and have the provisioned config from the 24 port switch loaded on the 48 port switch. I don't want to have to reconfigure the 48 port siwthc.

You don't need to re-configure the replacement switch because the current configuration is being "shared" by the entire existing stack.  Make sure the replacement switch does not have any configuration (including VLAN.dat file), same IOS version and same feature set (example:  IP Base).

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your 24-port switch fails and you want to replace it with a 48-port, then do this:

1.  Remove the 24-port provisioning:  no switch provisioning ; and

2.  Add the 48-port:  switch provisioning  <48-port model number>

What I am trying to accomplish is replace a failed 24 port switch, including the existing configuration.  I want to be able to install the 48 port switch, and have the provisioned config from the 24 port switch loaded on the 48 port switch. I don't want to have to reconfigure the 48 port siwthc.

You don't need to re-configure the replacement switch because the current configuration is being "shared" by the entire existing stack.  Make sure the replacement switch does not have any configuration (including VLAN.dat file), same IOS version and same feature set (example:  IP Base).

Thanks for the ratings.

Instead of replacing the 24 port switch with a 48 port switch and having to change the "24-port provision"  statement, can I replace a 3750G-24 with a 3750X-24 and not have to make any config changes, just physically remove the failed switch and install the replacement switch.

I'm trying to see if I can have technicians, that are already onsite but who have no Cisco configuration experience, able to replace a failed switch in the stack.    

Yes you can add a 3750x to a 3750G stack.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3250016#3250016

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: