Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question about NMSP protocol

Hi everyone,

I've recently installed the localisation appliance MSE and it seems to communicate fine with my Controllers WLC using the NMSP protocol.

However, I have a problem with this specific protocol (NMSP), I can see in the loggin on different Hosts that there is a traffic exchanged with the port: 16113 (NMSP). And these hosts are not supposed to received any NMSP trafic.

Is that normal that the protocol NMSP passes though randoms machines? Is there any way to control the specific destinations of endpoints.

I've made sure that my switches have the protocol NMSP disabled and there is no switch when i look in the WCS: NMSP connection status, only 2 controllers.

Thanks for helping,

Alex

3 Replies 3

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Maybe that port number is used by another protocol than NMSP.

Can you clarify from which source and to which destination was the traffic you saw ?

If it's from and to a random machine, then it's not NMSP.

Nicolas

mikael lelouch
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone,

I take a subject of Alexande Sitbon , I have two controllers wifi on different switch and  attached two core network ( 6500 & 4500 ) redundant by HSRP.  Except that  i have a multiple server on one switch and this server receive traffic nmsp. Is there command to disable NMSP one some port switch ?

Thanks for helping

Mika

Hi Mika,

NMSP can be suppressed.

To do this, the following commands need to be run from the switch's CLI (the 
example below uses Gig1/0/10):

Switch_3k_wired_location#config t

Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with CNTL/Z.  

Switch_3k_wired_loca(config)#interface GigabitEthernet 1/0/10
Switch_3k_wired_loca(config-if)#nmsp attachment suppress

Hope this helps.

Ram.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card