Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco systems VPN client 5.0.07.0410 reports Gina.dll error

Hi,

On our network we have more than 500 laptops (and member of our domain) with Windows XP Professional installed; on top of this we have installed the Cisco Systems VPN Client 5.0.07.0410, so the users have remote access to our network.

But... we are getting more and more errors from users that they get this error:

invalid gina-dll chain - infinite loop Loading standard gina-dll

We have tried to reinstall the VPN client, but to no avail, the users still gets the error.

What can we do to eliminate this error on our laptops?

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

4 Replies 4

Marcin Latosiewicz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Carl-Marius,

Are those machines matching from windows update whenever they want?Maybe a recent patch from microsoft or update to antivirus software?

The error you have... well let's just say that last reference to it in our database is from 2002 ...

As first step I would take a affected PC and disable all firewall/antivirus features and try to boot up and check event logs if falure still occurs.

Marcin

Hi Marcin,

I have found the solution on this problem...

It turns out to be a CA software issue, we use CA DSM R11.2 to deploy OS and software, and the software distribution agent installed on all the computers turns out to course this problem.

We deployed a procedure inclued in the CA agent package, to all the computers with the problem and the procedure added the old gina.dll file to the working gina.dll instead of the gina.dll that the CA software included.

Thank you for trying Marcin, I really appreciate it!

Kind regards,

Carl-Marius

Carl-Marius,

Good find! I gave your post highest ranking ;-)

Marcin

Hi Marcin,

I thought I had solved the problem with the above solutions, but the problem returned... Now I have found another solution that works:

The registry fix below, fixes the problem:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cisco Systems\VPN Client]
"PreviousGinaPath"="msgina.dll"

If I apply this to the computer with the problem, it works after a reboot.

Kind regards,
Carl-Marius

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: