cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Chaining two routers

november6
Level 1
Level 1

My issue: I know that I can disable DHCP on the second router, connect the two routers LAN to LAN (as opposed to LAN -> Internet port on the second router) and have all of the devices stay in the same network.  However, I have a Cisco RVS4000 that I plan on using to allow employees to connect to remotely using the Cisco Quick Connect VPN client.  I have only been able to successfully connect to the RVS4000 when connecting LAN->Internet port (it's the second router and I have no choice in the matter).  Doing this puts the computer and printer also connected to that router off of the outside network.  Can I keep the routers connected in this way and yet allow the two devices connected to the second still be discoverable to devices connected to the first (and likewise be able to discover devices connected to the first)?

11 Replies 11

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Can you put a diagram and explain exactly what you want to do.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Do you know of an online resource I could use to draw a diagram with (that might be more suited to this than simply using photoshop)?

You can use dia :  http://projects.gnome.org/dia/

Regards.

Alain.

3.dia and 4.dia is my current setup.  3 depicts the network, 4 shows how the two routers are connected.  For clarification: Router 1 in 4.dia is the wireless router in 3.dia.  5.dia is my desired connection between the two routers.

Hi,

This is really not very clear for me.

Could you just do a sketch with name of interfaces, ip addresses explaining what you are doing now and what you want to do .

Don't use Dia anymore just draw it by hand then scan it and post.

Regards.

Alain.

Here you go, uploaded as a PDF.

Hi,

This is clearer like this but  can you give some more info:

which is RVS and what is the other router. Why did you daisy chain these 2 routers?

Have you tried this second configuration yet? I think it should work and i don't have RVS router to test but I'll give a try on GNS3 with other routers

as soon as I can.

Regards.

Alain.

Router 1 is an ActionTec Mi424 WR.  Router 2 is the RVS4000.

I have tried the second configuration.  I was unable to access the network drive (192.168.1.3) from 192.168.1.61.  I was also unable to access router 1 (192.18.1.1) from 192.168.1.61.

Daisy chaining the routers was the simplest solution at the time for allowing the two devices (.61 and .62) to access, and be accessed by, other devices on the network.

Hi,

I have tried the second configuration.  I was unable to access the network drive (192.168.1.3) from 192.168.1.61.  I was also unable to access router 1 (192.18.1.1) from 192.168.1.61.

Can you  do a traceroute from each host to other host and post ouput as well as arp cache of hosts(computers), just clear it before doing the test.

Regards.

Alain.

It looks like you're simply looking for more access ports on your  network, yes?  If so, a router would not really be appropriate, as it's  for segregating networks.  If I'm reading it correctly, you're  connecting to a "WAN/Internet" port on router 2, which is likely a  routed port, eh?

If that is the case, then router 2 is going to see traffic from,  say, 192.168.1.61 and not forward it to 192.168.1.2 if they are on the  same network (same subnet mask).

You could subnet your  network so that the devices on router 2 are on a separate network.   Split it any way you like (ensuring that you leave enough host space for  the devices you'll have connected, which likely won't be a problem  given what's on the diagram).  Just for an example:

net 1:  192.168.1.0 /25  (host range 192.168.1.1 - 192.168.1.126)

This would be for devices hanging off of your Router 1 (to include Router 2's Internet interface)

net 2: 192.168.1.128 /25 (host range 192.168.1.129 - 192.168.1.254)

This would be for devices hanging off of router 2's switched ports (PC, printer).

Apologies if I have read your question wrong.  Let me know.

@edwin.summers

This is why I went to the getting started board; I really don't know a lot.  I am trying to use the RVS4000 to create a VPN (allowing employees to access the network drive off site).  Each of the computers in the diagram has the workstation version of software the company purchased and needs to access the network drive for the licensing info.

When I daisy-chain the routers, the RVS4000 doesn't accept VPN connections.  When I connect to the WAN/Internet port of the RVS4000 it does, but then I've taken the two devices connected to the RVS off of the other network.

So to sum up; everyone needs to access the network drive and I'm asking if this is possible while connecting to the WAN/Internet port of the 2nd router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: