How To: Enable Transcoding in Twonky Media Server

Unanswered Question
Feb 4th, 2011

Now that we have both the twonky media server, and optware, we can add transcoding to TwonkyMedia Server.

Be forewarned, you could probably mess up your NSS if you don't know what you are doing, or maybe even if you do.

-- First install the optware package.  (Use the links at the top of the forums to get to the pkg)

-- Then make sure it's enabled (go through the admin, view the package, and check the enabled box).

-- Then log in via ssh (you will have to add this via the admin as well).  If you're on a non-linux environment, you can use putty or some other terminal client.

-- Once logged in, run 'ipkg update', then 'ipkg install ffmpeg'  -- This will update the optware list, and then install ffmpeg (required for transcoding).

-- Then we need to edit the location file for this.  The file is located at   '/mnt/ext/opt/twonkymedia/cgi-bin/ffmpeg.location'.  You can edit it using vi, or some other command line file.  Remove what's in it, and put '/usr/bin' in it, save and close the file.

-- Make sure twonky media server is enabled (Called UPnP server in the admin)

-- Go to the web admin for it (usually your NAS IP and port 9000, so http://nasip:9000 )

-- Click on TwonkMedia Settings

-- Click on 'Network' under 'Advanced Setup'

-- Click the 'Restart Server' button

-- After it restarts, under advanced settings again, choose 'Transcoding'

-- Choose the transcoding options you want!

Hopefully this works for anyone who's trying to do this.  Optware has opened a lot of doors for things like this, so maybe I'll get some more guides out there.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
doishi Mon, 02/07/2011 - 10:57

Eric,

This works great.  I'm sure this will help out a lot of folks out there.

Transcoding Screen Before.  Notice video choices are not selectable.

Transcoding Screen After with Trancoding Enabled

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted February 4, 2011 at 6:59 PM
Stats:
Replies:1 Avg. Rating:
Views:16868 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard