Cisco Aironet 1250 - How to bridge two AP's and get Non-root to talk to Root AP

Unanswered Question
Feb 5th, 2011

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-bidi-font-family:Arial; mso-bidi-theme-font:minor-bidi;}

I have two buidlings acroos the street from each other.  I have two Cisco Aironet 1250 wireless AP's with the first one going in the main building with network backbone.  The Second AP goes across the street with the other wired network segment.  Both AP's have long range antenas 2.4 GHZ on top of each building.  I have configured the 1st one as the Root Bridge.  The one across the street is configured as non-root bridge.  I have both AP's configured with the same WEP key and also with the same SSID name with both set to broadcast it.   I am still unsure and confused as to how I get the non-root bridge to talk to and use the root bridge to get on the main network.

1- It’s main to use the Root parent Mac address.

2-  Is there another config that I am missing to get the signal? 

Note: I still not getting any signal from the root although distance between root and non-root is 330m

My root antenna is AIR-ANT24120 and non-root antenna is AIR-ANT1949 and attached files is my configuration files

Thank you.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Average Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
Maithri B Sat, 02/05/2011 - 21:38

Hi,

It is not necessary to have the Root parent mac-address configured. It is an optional setting when you have too many root bridges.

The configuration looks good.

You say that you do not see any signal from the root AP.

- Are the radios "up" on the root side?

- Is there proper LOS between the root and the non-root?

- Have you checked if other wireless clients are able to see the signal form the root?

Regards,

Maithri

zakid Sat, 02/05/2011 - 22:18

the radio is up at the root side

I tried many times to get properly LOS between the root and non-root but i don't have any tools to check the LOS

I saw the signal at root side but it's very weak i don't know why ?

thanks

Leo Laohoo Sat, 02/05/2011 - 22:21

I saw the signal at root side but it's very weak i don't know why ?

What exactly are the antennas you are using?

How many antennas are you using (per AP)?

What channel are you broadcasting on?

pikovic41 Sun, 02/06/2011 - 03:11

1- I'm using antenna AIR-ANT24120 at root side (point to multipoint 2.4)and non-root antenna is AIR-ANT1949 (P-to-P)

2- using only one antenna per AP with 15m LOW LOSS cable to each AP

3- first i put auto channel and after that I changed to 1, 3,6,9,11 without any update still not getting signal

Leo Laohoo Sun, 02/06/2011 - 13:49

1.  How are the AIR-ANT24120 and the AIR-ANT1949 installed?

2.  What is the distance between both APs?

3.  Do you have clear line-of-sight between the two?

4.  Is the two APs properly aligned?

5.  Which point are the antennas connected to?  Primary, Secondary or middle?

pikovic41 Sun, 02/06/2011 - 21:22

1.  How are the AIR-ANT24120 and the AIR-ANT1949 installed?

the AIR-ANT24120 is connected virtically on tower far 11m from the earth and AIR-ANT1949 is connected horizontally on tower far 10m from the earth

2.  What is the distance between both APs?

350 m

3.  Do you have clear line-of-sight between the two?

there is one tanker in the middle between them but it's far 7m from the earth

4.  Is the two APs properly aligned?

i think yes and changed the aligned many times without any news (I don't have any tools for alignment)

5.  Which point are the antennas connected to?  Primary, Secondary or middle?

I tried in the primary and secondary but never tried the middle antenna

Thanks

Leo Laohoo Mon, 02/07/2011 - 13:25

the AIR-ANT24120 is connected virtically on tower far 11m from the earth and AIR-ANT1949 is connected horizontally on tower far 10m from the earth

The installation sounds right but the alignment doesn't.  Also, I'm not sure if pairing a 1949 with a 24120 is correct.  The 1949 is a directional, single-stack yagi while the 24120 is an omni-directional.

Did you also configure the Gain settings on the radio?

I tried in the primary and secondary but never tried the middle antenna

It should be in primary and disable "Diversity".

pikovic41 Tue, 02/08/2011 - 07:00

yes. after detecated the primary antenna to send and recieve signal on non root access point

everything become fine

really I would like to thank you for your  support

Leo Laohoo Tue, 02/08/2011 - 13:34

Happy to hear that it's working.

Can you mark this thread as "Answered" then?

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted February 5, 2011 at 1:25 PM
Stats:
Replies:10 Avg. Rating:
Views:1445 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard