cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Protected servers under syn attack!!

Sundeep Dsouza
Level 1
Level 1

The firewall dashboard has a window at the right lower portion of ASDM and it displays Top 10 protected servers under SYN attack.  Refer to the attached picture.

In this scenario the server IP 82.214.154.223 seems to be getting SYN attacks from one of my internal network PC. This server 82.214.154.223 does not belong to us, a whois query tells me that the IP originates from Poland with no hostname address.

I should have been seeing attacks only for servers belonging to my network right? Like an attack from Outside public IP towards my Server public IP, or is it that this feature provides two way statistics where it also displays attack originating from my lan towards outside world. From what I see, I feel it displays two way attacks. Correct me if I am wrong.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, it is protecting both directions of the traffic passing through the ASA, inbound and outbound by default.

It looks like your internal host is attacking the 82.214.154.223 host, or it might be some software that is trying to reach 82.214.154.223, however, this host is not responding. Might be peer to peer file sharing or other similar sort of application.

There are different types and features of threat detection, and here is more information for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/configuration/guide/protect_threat.html

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, it is protecting both directions of the traffic passing through the ASA, inbound and outbound by default.

It looks like your internal host is attacking the 82.214.154.223 host, or it might be some software that is trying to reach 82.214.154.223, however, this host is not responding. Might be peer to peer file sharing or other similar sort of application.

There are different types and features of threat detection, and here is more information for your reference:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/configuration/guide/protect_threat.html

Hope that helps.

Hi,

below is the output of the # sh threat-detection rate command. can anyone explain me the vulnerabilities and risks by looking at the figures below. thanks

Average(eps)    Current(eps) Trigger      Total events

10-min ACL  drop:                  1               0       0               672

1-hour ACL  drop:                  1               0       0              4654

10-min SYN attck:                  0               0       0               386

1-hour SYN attck:                  0               0       0              3428

10-min  Scanning:                  2               1   55503              1248

1-hour  Scanning:                  2               2   18455              9177

10-min Bad  pkts:                  0               0       0               184

1-hour Bad  pkts:                  0               0       0              1089

10-min  Firewall:                  1               0       0               862

1-hour  Firewall:                  1               1       0              5749

10-min DoS attck:                  0               0       0                 6

1-hour DoS attck:                  0               0       0                 6

10-min Interface:                  1               0       0              1034

1-hour Interface:                  1               1       0              6616

regards,

AAMIR

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card