cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

10 gig etherchannel question

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

We have a 10gig link between our collapsed core 6509s. We also have one 10gig module on each core not being used. I was wondering if I can create a etherchannel with the 10gig interfaces.

The 10gig interfaces are of a different model. The ones that are presently linked are 10GBase - LR. The ones not being used are 10GBase - LX4. Can I bundle these two different types of interfaces?

Thanks, Pat.

3 Replies 3

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

These GBIC are different (one is single mode, other is multi mode) and I am not sure if the link itself will come up between these two GBICs.

XENPAK-10GB-LR=

10GBASE-LR XENPAK transceiver module for SMF, 1310-nm wavelength, SC duplex connector

XENPAK-10GB-LX4=

10GBASE-LX4 XENPAK transceiver module for MMF, 1310-nm wavelength, SC duplex connector

For transceiver compatibility matrix visit
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/OL_6974.html

If the link comes up/up, there should not be any problem in bundling them in etherchannel.

Cheers,

Shashank

P.S.Please rate if this helped answer your question.

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Patrick,

Found this link which suggests that the link may still come up with SMF at one end and MMF at the other, but it is not recommended.

Cisco SONET interfaces support interconnection of SMF and MMF optics. In other words, an MMF receiver at one end, and an SMF receiver at the other end. However, this mismatch of mode types is not officially supported by Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk482/tk607/technologies_tech_note09186a00800942d9.shtml

Cheers,

Shashank

Please rate the helpful posts.

Thanks for the responses.

I don't want create a link with two different kinds of interfaces at either end, I want to create two links, one link using the 10GBASE-LRs and the other link using the 10GBASE-LX4s. Then I want to bundle the two links to create a 20gig channel.

Thanks, Pat.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card