Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 PIM RP for one group only

kondratev
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need to configure my router to be RP for 1 group only. It should reject PIM messages for all other groups. I've tried to to the following:

ipv6 pim rp-address XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX ALLOWED_GROUP

!

ipv6 access-list ALLOWED_GROUP

permit ipv6 any host FF08:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY

where XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX:XXXX - is one of my router's IPv6 addresses that I wish to be RP,
FF08:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY - is IPv6 group that I need to allow.
But when I enter the command 'FF08:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY', I see the following message: "%Error: Group prefix must be less than 128, skipping FF08:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY/128".
Could you please suggest me how can I allow one group only?

4 Replies 4

Solomon Sudhakar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Use acl as shown below instead of host

ipv6 access-list ALLOWED_GROUP

permit ipv6 any FF08:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY:YYYY/127

Regards,

Solomon

Hi Solomon,

But this is interesting - it's been discussed here already and no reasonable answer was given as of yet. What is the reason that you are not allowed to configure an IPv6 PIM-SM RP for a single group? Is this a technical issue of some sort? It just doesn't make sense.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately an access-list cannot specify a permit entry for a *single* v6 multicast group. This is a general IOS limitation for now.

Regards,

Solomon

Hello Solomon,

Thank you for answering!

Unfortunately an access-list cannot specify a permit entry for a  *single* v6 multicast group. This is a general IOS limitation for now.

Exactly, and I am interested in knowing if this limitation is caused by any reasonable technical cause, or whether it is just some (obviously unfortunate) design choice that could be remedied by a relatively simple correction in IOS's source code.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card