cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using Cisco VPN with Remote Desktop

jdebinder
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I work with a lot of clients that use Cisco VPN to provide remote access.  Unfortunately the Cisco VPN does not work well with my IBM VPN client so I can't have them both running on my computer.  So, I thought I would install the Cisco VPN on an old machine, connect to that machine via Remote Desktop and VPN into the client network via the VPN.

Well, that didn't work either.  As soon as I connect to the client network via the VPN the Remote Desktop loses the connection.  Can anyone tell me if this Working As Designed (WAD) or if there is a configuration secret to get it to work?

Thanks in advance......

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

John,

When you connect via VPN to the client network from the remote machine, the RD connection breaks correct?

I believe that's because the VPN connection that you established from the client machine is configured to encrypt all traffic, and that's why the RD connection to your computer drops.

You can do a quick test... on the VPN client computer check under statististics (VPN software) and check if the secured routes is 0.0.0.0 (no split-tunneling).

If so.. and if having access to the VPN server, that can be changed.

Federico.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

John,

When you connect via VPN to the client network from the remote machine, the RD connection breaks correct?

I believe that's because the VPN connection that you established from the client machine is configured to encrypt all traffic, and that's why the RD connection to your computer drops.

You can do a quick test... on the VPN client computer check under statististics (VPN software) and check if the secured routes is 0.0.0.0 (no split-tunneling).

If so.. and if having access to the VPN server, that can be changed.

Federico.

Yes, the secured network and subnet mask are both 0.0.0.0.  I guess that means that there is no way to do this.  I'll try VNC just in case.

thanks....

Hi John,

Even if you try use VNC in this case it would not help you, because when you take a RDP/VNC to the old machine and as soon as you start connect to the VPN server via VPN client, old machine start route all the traffic to the VPN server because the split tunnel is not configured. That is why you are seeing all 0 (0.0.0.0), meaning send any trafficto remote VPN server. This behavior can be changed by asking your client to configure Split tunneling on the VPN server(Router/ASA), so that other internet/LAN traffic will not be encrypted and can be pass on to the local segment. Also please make sure local LAN access is enabled on the VPN Server.

Please rate if this helps.

Thanks,

Kasi.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: