Views
Helpful
Replies

setting up NTP on the VSAA laptops

DerekM
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

For some reasons I am having issues setting up the NTP settings on my two laptops which are being setup for VSAA.

Its been set up in the system>administrator as a local ip address of 127.0.0.1

I am going to the correct path of

/usr/local/mtaa/bin/ntpcfg        >>>>>>ntpip 127.0.0.1

and if I more this there is nothing in there and think there should be as I am not sure what exactly am I to do here as not used to this type of set up and now holding rest of set up for a TelePresence rollout via looking at the NPA.

Anything else you need to know please do not hesitate to answer this discussion as this is stopping me going onto next steps.

Many thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

If you set them both to use their local IP, they won't synch with each other.

They need to get NTP from the same source as each other, prefferable not one of the laptops.

In our implimentation, we synched both laptops to a router that was acting as an NTP server (it's pretty easy to set a router up as an NTP server - just google it).

Alternatively, if your network already has an NTP server, use that rather than 127.0.0.1.

Yes used a NTP address that we normally used and yes it worked, however when you are implementing the VSAA do we have to have the customer supply the correct NTP sources they are using and these are going to be at different zones within the world our first one being in the UK and the other in the Singapore zone. I am familiar with NTP and the source regards master/peer selection within a VOIP/Call Manager/CME environment and yes I agree it will be easy once we know what the procedure is, however I am not sure what is expected regards the VSAA set up.

1. I set up a router on our site as a NTP server.

2. Set up both laptops with the source ntp as the NTP set up on the router.

3. Test these two laptops on our site.

What does this prove if we are to use the customers NTP

I am not a novice here but just a bit miffed on the procedure for doing this test and yes I have the documentation for VSSA installation and user guide.

Think I will cancel my CCIE Voice lab in April if I can not suss out NTP.....

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

The VSAA documentation clearly states;

"You can also designate one station as the maser clock. To do so, enter 127.0.0.1 as the value following --ntpip. All the other agents must use the IP address of this agent as their NTP clock source."

This is exactly what we are wanting to do, to save having to send additional devices out for the VSAA tests, however we cannot make this work (I am a Fedora novice!)

We have tested with an external NTP server and this works fine, and yes we 'could' setup a router as an NTP server, but as I said, its more devices to take to customer site - if it can be done on one of the VSAA stations I would rather do this.

Thanks,

David Anstee

Yeah sorry - never tried it that way before.

If you are using an external or public NTP server, it should work OK as long as you pretend both VSAA laptops are in the same timezone.  The NTP is only to get accurate latency and jitter results, the actual time doesn't matter.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: