cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Message queued for delivery - but never makes it in...

OverSeer
Level 1
Level 1

I'm working with a client who has the S&V Blocker appliance. An email came in from a person 'someone@websiteinfo.net' and it passed all the rules (as was expected) and the logs showed: 'Message 1825179 to user@domain.com received remote SMTP response '2.6.0 <23598349.3168.1299683090958.JavaMail.company@company.net> Queued mail for delivery'.

But the email never made it in. The same person sent one about an hour after this one from a different domain name and that one made it through. I'm trying to find out why/how/where that message never came through or where it's setting. The Exchange server shows the second email coming in but not the first.

4 Replies 4

Martin Eppler
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

'received remote SMTP response' implies that the Cisco Spam & Virus Blocker was able to deliver the message and it was positivly accepted by the estination mail server. However, without reviewing the entire mail flow of this message in the mail_logs it is hard to say who the destination server was that replied back here.

Thanks and regards,

Martin

How would I go about reviewing the mail_logs on the Cisco device?

Hi,

Just looking at the logs you posted here. Your mail did make it to the remote host and was deliveried. On your question how you go about searching the mail logs. I tel net or SSH into the blocker, once you are in the command prompt you will use the grep command to  grep what you are looking for

example:  grep "Jason" mail_logs     

This will serach the mail logs for everything that has jason in it.

To be more specific you could search by full email addess or you can seach by the ICID or MID and DCID.

ICID = incoming connection id

MID = Meassage Id

DCID = Delivery connection ID

example; grep "ICID 135246" mail_logs

example: grep "MID 1354" mail_logs

again normally you are going to search by full email first or even subject line,using grep command then grep the ICID,MID,DCID.      

Jason Bryant

Cisco Support Engineer

Hi Martin;

I have the same issue, attached is log file, could you please help me to investigate in this issue?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: