Views
Helpful
Replies

Enterprise QoS (for dummies?)

rcoote5902_2
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

We are in the process of delving into the world of enterprise QoS.  Our current WAN connections are currently untrusted and they handle the QoS for us with a basic bronze/silver/gold system.  We're moving some services to a centralized/virtualized environment and would like to have some control over the QoS on the LAN and across the WAN for critical services (Oracle, SQL, etc.).

So, I've been tasked with learning QoS.  Thusfar my experience with it is utilizing the auto-qos features on our switches for our voice traffic.

For now I think we will just be starting out with a 4-class model with the potential to migrate to something a bit more complex once I get my head around it.

So a few questions:

Is there a more up-to-date document than the Enterprise QoS SRND version 3.3?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/WAN_and_MAN/QoS_SRND/QoS-SRND-Book.html

Also, any reference documents or configuration examples for a QoS beginner would be wonderful if you have any to share.  Books, websites, etc. are also welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

1 Accepted Solution
3 Replies 3

Thanks for the link to 4.0.  I had seen that but wasn't sure it was the same track as the nomenclature seems to have changed to "Medianet".

With respect to that book..it was published in 2003....is it still relevant?

It is relevant to certain extent but you can supplement this information with the documentation from the platform in question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: