cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASK THE EXPERTS - LMS with Cisco experts Svetlana Radzevich and Geert Cober

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn how to install, maintain, operate and troubleshoot CiscoWorks LAN Management solution with Cisco experts Svetlana Radzevich and Geert Cober. Svetlana has been a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center in the Network Management team for five years. She holds a bachelor's degree in computer science from Tomsk Polytechnical University, Russia, and a master's degree in computer science from Saarland University, Germany. Geert is also a customer support engineer at the Cisco Technical Assistance Center. He currently works in the Network Management team, supporting customers on the Cisco LAN Management Solution (LMS), Cisco Unified Operations Manager, Cisco Network Analysis Module, Simple Network Management Protocol, and Cisco IOS IP Service Level Agreements technology. He has 10 years experience in troubleshooting Cisco LMS and has delivered multiple sessions on deploying and troubleshooting Cisco LMS at Cisco Live.

Remember to use the rating system to let   know if you have received an adequate response.

Geert and Svetlana might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Network Management discussion forum shortly after the event. This event lasts through April 8, 2011. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other community members.

95 Replies 95

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

Thanks for the Ask the Experts forum.

Why would my Ciscoworks LMS 4.0.1 be causing the following:

Mar 25 18:28:32.801 GMT: %PARSER-5-CFGLOG_LOGGEDCMD: User:ciscoworks  logged command:!exec: enable failed

I see the message over and over - several per minute.

The device having this issue is a 2811 running IOS Version 12.4(25b).

User "ciscoworks" is a RO user defined in TACACS. I haven't noticed the log message on other devices managed by this server. Those deivces use the same TACACS server and have the same vty acls.

Hi,

The syslog message indicates that the config logger is enabled on the device and LMS is trying to enter enable mode. LMS expects to have privilege level 15 on the devices. If you would like to avoid these messages, you can increase the privilige level for the ciscoworks user to 15 on the TACACS server, or you can disable the config logger on the device.

You may not see the same syslog message on the other devices if the config logger is not enabled or if the device software does not support config logger.

Geert

Steve Warren
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible for me to configure LMS 4.0 to use the hostname as the device name in DFM?

Can I configure lms to send the hostname of device in a fault notification email.

Hi Steve,

if you have DNS server where all devices are configured, you could try the following:

1. stop the CiscoWorks

2. open discovery.conf file under $NMSRoot\objects\smarts\conf\discovery and change:

NameFormat = "TM_USESEEDNAME"
#NameFormat = "TM_USEAUTONAME"

to

#NameFormat = "TM_USESEEDNAME"
NameFormat = "TM_USEAUTONAME"

3. start the CiscoWorks and once all processes are up rediscover the device.

You could include the devicename/ip address in the Fault email subject under Admin -> Network -> Notification and Action Settings -> Fault - E-mail subject customization.

Svetlana

Hi Svetlana,

Thanks for your reply.

The devices are not in DNS. The device names are shown in DCR but the device name in DFM is the IP address. As a result when the alerts are send the ip address for the device is shown in the device name section of the email.

What is a user defined field?

I saw a user-defined field in the alert customization and I was wondering if I could create a user-defined field to capture the hostname of a device and send this on the fault email alert.

However i realised I cannot edit a user define field under Admin > Network > Device Credential Settings > User Defined Fields

Hi Steve,

DCR supports up to 10 user-defined fields. These fields are used to store additional user-defined data for a device. For instance, you could store the hostname of the device as user defined field if you wish. LMS initially provides four user-defined fields. You can add up to 10 user-defined fields as needed under Admin > Network > Device Credential Settings > User Defined Fields.

In order to specify the value for the user-defined field you should go to Inventory -> Device Administration -> Add/Import/Manage Devices, specify a device and click "Edit Credentials" button. The fifth step in Edit credentials are "User Defined Fields"

Svetlana

Michel Hegeraat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Svetlana, Hi Geert,

Is there a way to rediscover a device in DFM using cli?

Regarding the thirdparty device support in LMS4, is there anything new in Campus and DFM?

Cheers,

Michel

Few more questions:

I have a number of devices working apparently fine in all LMS applications except DFM.

After having removed the discovered the SNMP v3 engineID from the DCR on request of the TAC, I'm now adding it again, again on request of the TAC but without the ":" colon symbols that we in there.

What is the purpose of these engineID's and what is the impact of having a static engineID in the DCR, if there is any impact?

We use 2 nexus 7000's as the default gateway routers for a network. I noticed a patch is available for LMS 3.2 but the description is not visible for me.

Do I need a similar path for LMS 4?

I know that in SNMP v3 we need to define a SNMP context to read the mac table for that VLAN for usertracking.

Do I need the same context to read the ARP table per VLAN or has this remained generic?

I'm still looking to see how to create the snmp context on the NEXUS 7K. If you have any hints or can confirm it can't be done please say so.

Later is not LMS so I'll go find another tree to bark at 

Hi Michel,

The SNMP EngineID is used to identify the snmp agent. If you leave the EngineID empty in DCR, LMS needs to discover the EngineID of the device before it can perform any snmp requests. This means that you will have one extra snmp request and one extra reply when you leave the EngineID blank. If you manually add the EngineID in DCR, LMS can poll the device without having to discover the EngineID.

Can I have the name of the patch that you mentioned, so I can look it up?

There is no need to add the vlan contexts in order to read the ARP table. You need to add the vlan context to read the bridge tables on your switches because switches keep a separate forwarding table for every vlan. There is only one ARP table, so there is no need for vlan contexts.

Geert

Thanks Geert,

In LMS it says:

Now Available! Patch for Nexus 7K User Tracking support

The bugid is:CSCtl10414

No doubt you can see what this is.

Michel

Geert,

Can the EngineID change? And what will happen if an old EngineID is still in the DCR?

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Michel,

The EngineID does not change automatically, but you can change it manually in IOS with the snmp-server engineID command:

(config)#snmp-server engineID local ?
  WORD  engine ID octet string

When the EngineID changes, you need to update the EngineID in DCR as well (or leave it blank to let LMS discover the EngineID).

Geert

Hi Michel,

The patch adds UserTracking support for Nexus 7K. The Nexus 7K platform was not supported in user tracking. The patch allows User tracking to collect end hosts and ip phones connected to Nexus 7K devices. The fix is also included in LMS 4.0.1.

I've made the CSCtl10414 bug public. You should be able to view the bug details on cisco.com when the bug toolkit gets updated.

Geert

Hi Michel,

to rediscover the device you need:

1. to verify which DFM instance is monitoring your device (DFM or DFM1):

$NMSRoot\objects\smarts\bin>  dmctl -s DFM geti ICIM_UnitaryComputerSystem

$NMSRoot\objects\smarts\bin> dmctl -s DFM1 geti ICIM_UnitaryComputerSystem

2. attach dmctl to DFM or DFM1:

$NMSRoot\objects\smarts\bin> dmctl -s DFM

DFM default password is admin/admin

3. run the command:

dmctl> invoke ICF_TopologyManager::ICF-TopologyManager rediscover Router::

dmctl> invoke ICF_TopologyManager::ICF-TopologyManager rediscover Switch::

Regarding the thirdparty device support - I am not aware about any changes. You could check the supported devices in LMS 4.0 at http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/net_mgmt/ciscoworks_lan_management_solution/4.0/device_support/table/lms40sdt.html

Svetlana

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco