cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Updating Device Alias Database

matthew.beard
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a way to update the device alias database without manually doing it one by one?  I have a lot of alias names that need to be changed. Thanks in advance for any help.

2 Replies 2

User_4444_2
Level 1
Level 1

I can't think of an Automatic way of doing it but I use Notepad to change the input. I use "Replace" to change the current config to the new.

So if you have the new information somewhere else you can manipulate the Device Alias Database and add it back in via the CLI.

kenk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Matthew,

My personal preference would be to use Fabric Manager for this task (device alias database maintenance).

Here's a link to the Fabric Manager Device Alias online documentation:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/mds9000/sw/4_1/configuration/guides/fm_4_1/ddas.html

In general, there's typically an "easiest" way to manage the MDS features via one of the options Cisco makes

available (Command line, Device Manger, or Fabric Manager).  For example, I personally like to zone via Fabric

Manager, manage FICON via Device Manager, and troubleshoot via the Command Line.

Regards,

Ken

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: