Views
Helpful
Replies

IPv6 support in ASA 8.2(2)

jkirby
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I work for a small co-lo/hosting provider trying to be live for World IPv6 day. As such I have questions about BGP transitions and ASA support. I'll not ask them all at once though.

I plan to implement dual-stack for our hosting edge. Our ASAs are mostly set up using the ASDM "public servers" feature. I also plan to do transparent NAT (NAT 0) for v6. Are there any major caveats using 8.2(2) for this? 8.3 or 8.4 may be an option for us if I can get approval for mem upgraded but I'd like to stay with 8.2(2) for now.

Also, is there an IPv6 quick start guide or two for IPv6 on ASA by any chance?

Thanks

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

wzhang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You are correct, when there is no NAT 0 configured, ipv6 traffic is still forwarded and is only subject to the access-control and security rules regardless of whether "nat-control" is enabled. This is different from how ipv4 is handled on the ASA.

Thanks,

Wen

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Phillip Remaker
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is IPv6 support in the ASA version 8.2.

We just posted an IPv6 Quick Start guide at https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-15973 and would appreciate feedback on it.

The Public Servers features is a NAT/PAT feature.  The good news is that the immense address space of IPv6 eliminates the need for NAT, you can just use use access lists to set up your policy.

Thanks for the link.

One thing I don't quite get: for IPv4 we need to use NAT0 or NAT exempt rules to make the same IP available from a DMZ to the outside. Are you saying this is not true for IPv6?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

wzhang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

You are correct, when there is no NAT 0 configured, ipv6 traffic is still forwarded and is only subject to the access-control and security rules regardless of whether "nat-control" is enabled. This is different from how ipv4 is handled on the ASA.

Thanks,

Wen

That's awesome!!

But, since the ASA doesn't do proxy NDP I need to set static routes in my edge routers to point any /64s I use for DMZs to the ASA's outside interface, correct?

jk

wzhang
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes that's correct.

Thanks,

Wen