cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What should I use??? wireless router, access point, bridge

jaadcox
Level 1
Level 1

I want to install a wireless network in my home.

I have many devices that will need to be hard wired into this wireless network.

The basic design will be 4 rooms each with 4 to 6 hardwired devices.

Configure either a mesh or hub and spoke style network.

I would like to use 802.11n.

The question is:

What do a use at the hub?

What do I use at the spokes?

26 Replies 26

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd recommend a 860W/880W if you have only 1 or two VLANs.  If you have alot of VLANs then the 890W suits you.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I'd recommend a 860W/880W if you have only 1 or two VLANs.  If you have alot of VLANs then the 890W suits you.

Thank you very much for the responce.  I'm not sure however that I understand.

Where do I use this?  at the spoke?  and do I then get a AP for the hub?

The reason why I recommended a router with a wireless AP builtin because you can connect non-wireless client into the ethernet ports (minimum of 4).  You then connect wireless via the wireless AP.

Where do you use this?  Well you have to find a central location and test whether the wireless signal in this central location is sufficient for the users.  If not then you'll have to move the location of the router to suit your need.

Make sure you don't put the router INSIDE a metal cabinet as thw wireless signal cannot get out of the metal cage.

Thank you!

So for my rooms with 4 devices I use the 860, and rooms with 6 devices I use the 890.

What should I use for my primary hub in the house that connects to the WAN?

What should I use for my primary hub in the house that connects to the WAN?

Don't.  You can plug your WAN/xDSL link to the router's WAN link.  If you have DSL, then you have the choice of the 8x7W router.  This specific sub-model supports xDSL 1/2/+.

Let's presume you used up all the ethernet ports of the router of your choice and you need more.  Then I'd recommend the 2960-8 or the 2960C-8 for beginners.  The 3560 family have a number of 8-port switches.  Y'know what's the killer?  These 8-port models of the 2960 and the 3560 are FANLESS.  Whisper quiet!

If you want more than 8-ports then the 3560 has a 12-port model but it has a fan.  If you can keep the place where the 3560 clean and dust free (particularly the fan) then it will remain quiet for 3+ years.

I want need more than 6 ports.  so no external switch will be

needed.

So what do you recommend as the centeral AP that connects to the WAN?

Just to make sure, what you want is to connect all hardwired devices like to a hub or switch and then transfer each room traffic to a central device via wireless?

yes!

I have 4 rooms.  each with 4 to 6 hardwired devices.  I want the most stable and secure, and FASTEST possible design I can get using wireless.

Hmmm ... I think you need to get the router with a PoE module.  Why?  Because I believe you will need another autonomous access point as one AP may not be enough. For a simple house setup then you can start with the 1040 AP.

I see what you are saying.   I thought that with the N series and the use of multiple beams, I would only need one AP.

I'll do some reading on this box.

Thank you.

hmmm this is what I would do ...

I would have 1242AG APs on each room.

Then I would have a 1242AG too in the central point connected to the existing router thata goes to the WAN.

On then I would use  tha A radios to do bridging. then I would use a unmannged switchon each room that connects to the AP.

And I would use the G radio either for wireless clients or to keep bridnging  other rooms.

but this will only give me a/b/g wireless.  I was hoping to use an

n-level product to get the absolute maximum throughput.

any thoughts?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: