cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual stack multi-home BGP

josh.smith
Level 1
Level 1

I have a design I'm working on which will require among other things dual stack across MPLS. Configuring CE routers for dual stack seems very straight forward, however I'm having trouble finding documentation describing the BGP config for multihoming and load sharing with 2 routers and 2 service providers. I've configured this quite a few times with HSRP and BGP for IPv4 similar to this example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800945bf.shtml#conf5

Am I looking at this wrong or are these scenarios just not widely published yet?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks,

Josh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Salman Asadullah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Josh,

Correct. You will pretty much use same techniques/configurations for IPv4 and IPv6 for basic scenarios for now, just use IPv6 addresses instead of IPv4.

Regards,

Salman

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Salman Asadullah
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Josh,

Correct. You will pretty much use same techniques/configurations for IPv4 and IPv6 for basic scenarios for now, just use IPv6 addresses instead of IPv4.

Regards,

Salman

Thanks Salman!

Are there any docs or links that outline these types of configs? I'm having a hard time finding relevant information.

So where you configure "address-family" would you only have IPv4 information under ipv4 family or would you possibly have IPv6 networks advertised under the ipv4 family if your peer is an ipv4 peer?

I haven't really worked with address-families yet so this is a little new

thanks again!

Josh

Hi Josh,

You will have to understand the MBGP address families. One of the basic rule of MBGP is that when I'm advertising a route from a specific address family, the next hop has to be from the same address family. So, you will have to make sure the next hop is from the same address family. Couple of examples for you:

1. IPv6 NLRI in IPv4

router bgp 201

bgp router-id 192.168.30.1

neighbor 150.1.1.2 remote-as 301

!

address-family ipv6

neighbor 150.1.1.2 activate

neighbor 150.1.1.2 route-map SETNH out

network 2192:10::/48

!

route-map SETNH permit 10

set ipv6 next-hop 2150:1:1::3

2. IPv4 NLRI in IPv6

router bgp 201

bgp router-id 192.168.30.1

neighbor 2150:1:1::2 remote-as 301

!

address-family ipv4

neighbor 2150:1:1::2 activate

neighbor 2150:1:1::2 route-map SETNH out

network 192.10.0.0

!

route-map SETNH permit 10

set ip next-hop 150.1.1.3

I also came across this document which should help you: http://fengnet.com/book/Cisco.IOS.Cookbook.2nd/I_0596527225_CHP_25_SECT_11.html

Regards,

Salman

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: