Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE and ANM, Syslog and SNMP Traps

omarmontes
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys.. another ACE/ANM question.

I configured the ACE devices to send Syslog and SNMP messages to the ANM server. But i got a couple of questions:

Whats the difference between using the:

logging history 4 (this would send logging messages as SNMP traps according to doc)

And:

snmp-server host x.x.x.x traps version 2c public

snmp-server trap-source vlan 1000

This of course I think should do the same..

The funny and weird thing, in the ANM Event viewer, I can only see syslog messages, not one snmp event.

Thanks!

Omar

PS: ACE ver A2.4

ANM Ver 4.2

3 Replies 3

Daniel Arrondo Ostiz
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Omar,

Let's see if I can clarify your questions.

As you mentioned, the "logging history 4" command specifies that, syslog messages of severity 4 and higher will be sent as SNMP traps. After you configure it, you need the "snmp-server host x.x.x.x traps version 2c public" command to specify what will be the destination IP and SNMP community for these traps.

It would only make sense to use the "logging history 4" command if your monitoring application doesn't support receiving syslog messages. However, since ANM is able to get syslog messages from the ACE without issues, I would just configure a destination for syslog message instead (with "logging host x.x.x.x")

I hope this makes this point more clear.

Now, moving on to why you are not seeing any SNMP traps in your ANM, the first things you would need to check are:

-- Did you enable traps? You would use the "ACE(config)# snmp-server enable traps" command for this

-- Are traps being sent? You can use the "show snmp" command and check if the "Trap PDUs" counter increases

-- Is ANM getting these traps? This is the most complicated step. For this, I would recommend getting a traffic capture on the ANM server (if it's installed on linux) or as close as possible to it if it's a ANM appliance

I hope this helps

Daniel

Thank you Daniel..

The problem was that the SNMP traps werent enabled.

But now I got another question:

Whats the difference about the SNMP configuration in ANM Config/Devices/System/Primary Attributes:

Enable SNMP Get

Enable SNMP Trap

And the configuration entered in ANM Config/Devices/System/SNMP

I mean, if i select the "Enable Snmp Traps" in the Primary Attributes it doesn't enable the traps, i still have to go to the SNMP section, and then enable them in SNMP Notification.

Also, enabling the SNMP Get is for the ANM to be able to poll the ACE, but then.. SNMP trap is not necessary right? Is there some function in the ANM that needs the traps? Maybe the real time graphs?

thanks for your time!

Hi Omar,

The "Enable SNMP Get" and "Enable SNMP Trap" settings on ANM will push to the ACE the specific commands that will enable ANM to communicate with the ACE, so for example, if you use the "Enable snmp trap" option, it will push to the ACE the command "snmp-server host traps version 2c "

The SNMP section of the configuration is used for more advanced configurations, such as defining more communities and more destinations for traps.

As for whether traps are necessary or not, the answer is on the definition of a SNMP trap itself. In the normal SNMP process (GET), the server will poll the ACE at configured intervals and request some data (for example, traffic counters), but, if the server doesn't poll the ACE, information is not getting refreshed. Traps are designed to be sent by the ACE towards the server without getting a request first. Normally this is used to inform the monitoring system about urgent events (such as, for example, an expired license)

ANM doesn't require traps to operate, but, if you use them, you can be notified sooner about certain events.

Regards

Daniel

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: