cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Feature Request: Force Night Mode Lamp

shuotari2
Level 1
Level 1

On the Phones (spa525g2), when I have a Force Night Mode lamp designated, it would be great if that indicated if the system was in night mode.

At 5pm, or 8am when the system changes from day to night mode, the lamp does not change.

So after 5pm, turn the light red.  At 8am, turn it green.  Then if it gets over-ridden you can change the lamp when a user presses the button.

Scott Huotari,

Creative Computer Solutions

Portland Oregon, Vancouver Washington

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

nalbert
Level 4
Level 4

Scott,

The request totally makes sense. I will go ahead and take action on this immediately.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

nalbert
Level 4
Level 4

Scott,

The request totally makes sense. I will go ahead and take action on this immediately.

Hi Scott,

We have several modes that the UC320W can operate in for day/night modes:

• Automatic schedule -- system changes day or night mode based upon pre-configured day and night schedule
  • Manual schedule -- Automatic schedule is not enabled.  Day mode is always operational unless the Force Night button has been activated.
  • Automatic schedule with Force Night override -- system changes day or night mode based upon the schedule, but will be FORCEd to NIGHT mode, if in day mode by schedule AND the Force Night button is activated.  One thing to note is that if you are in Night mode by schedule, is that the Force Night button does NOT put the system into day mode.

The current lamp behavior of the Force Night button is to indicate the state of the Force Night button (activated/not activated), not the system's current day / night mode.  This was done deliberately as to not confuse the end user.  If you would like, we can look at dedicating another button for a day / night status indicator.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Not sure why we would want to take up another button for day night.  I think that the force night button needs to go away.  Give us a night button that if you press it, it will go to day, press again night.  Change the color when the system is in day or night mode.  That is how our Panasonic system worked.  It was not confusing at all.  Red is night.  Green is Day.

No need to take up two of my precious button spaces on the phone.  One for Force Night.  One to display day and night.  Just combine them into a Day Night button.  It will toggle between modes for you.  Take a look at the Panasonic Digital phone system manual.  It may give you an idea of some features you can roll into your product.

S.

Sent from my iPad

The existing behavior is very confusing to users.

To be honest with you -- it didn't even make sense to me until you explained it.

Having it be red for night, green for day always would be much easier to understand and explain.

Ryans suggestion would be even better.

• Automatic schedule with Force Night override -- system changes day or night mode based upon the schedule, but will be FORCEd to NIGHT mode, if in day mode by schedule AND the Force Night button is activated.  One thing to note is that if you are in Night mode by schedule, is that the Force Night button does NOT put the system into day mode.

Chris,

Just wondering why we can’t force the system out of ‘Automatic Night Mode’. I work long hours and quite often the phone rings when I am in the office but I cannot answer the phone as its in night mode due to the automatic setting.

It would be great to press the force night button to switch it off and answer the call.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim,

We looked at this once before and it became confusing to the user on when the automatic schedule would take effect again.  I'll suggest that in your scenario is might be best to simply use the Force Night button manually.  Last person out of the office puts the system in night mode and first person in disables the Force Night button (putting the system in open/day mode).

We've asked the User Experience team to revisit this feature based upon comments posted here.

Thanks,

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes I did think about how or when the automatic mode could be reactivated, it is a tricky one.

Maybe it would be best not to take it out of night mode at all but just have the option to ‘Call Pickup’ if in night mode.

regards,

Tim

rsawyer6003
Level 1
Level 1

Chris,

I see what you mean by indicating the status of the forced night button, but I do believe that everyone installing these systems would like to see the button indicating the status of the phone system. Your average phone end user is not going to understand that the green force night button has no ties to the actual status of the phone system. They are simply going to see a green light before or after hours and think the system is in day mode. In my opinion there should be one force night button that functions as is but also indicates the systems status. I realize this may be a challenge because the force night override actually stops the automatic schedule until pressed again, resuming automatic schedule. The best solution I can think of (if at all possible) would be to have the force night button lit in the following status indications:

1.) red - system in night mode (auto schedule enabled)

2.) green - system in day mode (auto schedule enabled)

3.) orange - auto schedule disabled (forced night)

This would really help the end user understand what mode they are in while still maintaining the ability to have manual control of the system without using a second button.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi Ryan,

I'll ask the usability team to revisit this feature behavior.  We went through several different implementations on this during market trials.

Thanks,

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: