Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade VSM from 4.2.1/6.2.1 to 6.3.1

neilo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is an upgrade path to go from 4.2.1/6.2.1 to 6.3.1 and if so does anyone know of any documentation that details the upgrade process?

The exact versions I am running are:

Cisco_VSBWT-6.2.1-12d
Cisco_VSBase-6.2.1-12d
Cisco_VSDocs-6.2.1-12d
Cisco_VSDrivers-6.2.1-12d
Cisco_VSMS-6.2.1-12d
Cisco_VSOM-4.2.1-14
Cisco_VSRecorder-6.2.1-12d
Cisco_VSTools-6.2-12

I also need to upgrade the camera firmware on the Pelco IP110 and Axis 215 PTZ, is there any issues with taking these units up to the latest available firmware from the relevant manufacturer?

Many thanks

Neil

10 Replies 10

adraghav
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Neil,

http://www.ciscoet.com/resourcelib.asp?id=1200

This document details the steps to upgrade to VSM 6.3.1.

Regards,

Aditya Raghavan

jfiranzi
Level 1
Level 1

Ni Neil,

If you have had an opportunity to read the doc suggested earlier, you can see the upgrade process itself is not complex.  You do not upgrade the OS itself, you only need remove the java version (assuming you run VSOM on that server as well as VSMS), remove the old rpm packages and install the new ones.  The final step for a server running VSOM involvs running a database update script which will walk through incrementally changing the database schema to match that required for the latest version of VSOM.

The instructions caution that you should take a configuration backup of your VSMS server as well as a database backup of VSOM.  You do not restore either backup at the end of this upgrade process, but having them ensures you can get back to your old system state should you want to downgrade.

I hope that helps,

Jim

Sean Merrow
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

You can also greatly simplify the upgrade process with the Cisco VSM Software Assistant 6.3.1 at the following link:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-14917

Sean

Hi,

Thanks for the help so far.  I seem to have run into a small problem, when I run the script it kicks off OK but seems to have a problem locating the VSOM zip file.  I've located the files in a folder under root and I can run the script but when it asks if I want to do a clean install or upgrade, I choose the upgrade option and it tells me it can't find the VSOM zip file.  The zip files are all in the same folder as the script.

Any ideas?

Regards

Neil

Hi Neil,

I looked through Sean's script to see where the VSOM fail message appears. I think you must be failing at this part of the script:

# Function - Check to see if VSOM file is present
isvsompresent () {
  ls Cisco_VSOM-6.3.1-*.zip
  i=$?
  if [ $i = 0 ]
  then
    echo "VSOM 6.3.1 software present for upgrade."
    echo
  else
    echo
    echo "There is no Cisco_VSOM-6.3.1 zip file in the directory."
    echo
    echo "Please download VSOM 6.3.1 from cisco.com and load on this server so"
    echo "VSOM can be upgraded to the most current release."
    echo
    exit 1
  fi
}

Is that the error message you encounter?  The function checks for the presence of a file named Cisco_VSOM-6.3.1-*.zip.  If you already unzipped the contents and placed them in your directory under root, that could be one possible cause (or if you renamed the zip so that it does not begin with Cisco_VSOM-6.3.1-).

I hope that helps,

Jim

Hi Neil,

Sorry Neil for the delay, I missed your post.

As long as the software .zip file and the script are in the same directory, and there are no spaces in the directory path, it should find the file.  Can you CD into the directory where all the files are and send me the output of the following command?:

prompt# ls -l

Thanks,

Sean

panayiotiscy
Level 4
Level 4

Hello,

sorry for jumping in.

I have a relevant question to the upgrading:

How much time is needed for a 4RU VSMS+VSOM to be upgraded ?

Also, does the camera upgrading take time as well?

Thank you

Hello,

If you have 2500 cameras or 2XXX series dome cameras that are running 1.X firmware, then I would first upgrade them to 2.X firmware or higher.  Then you can use the Cisco VSM Software Assistant to upgrade to either 6.3.1 or 6.3.2.  You can use the vscheck command to verify the components you have installed, and as long as you have the .zip file for each component currently installed on the server, then the actual upgrade process using the script will only take approximately 5 to 15 minutes, depending on how many cameras are configured on the media server.

Hope this helps,

Sean

Hi Sean,

Thank you for replying in time!

So, as a generaly sum up:

Our CCTV network consists of 4RU VSMS+VSOM server, 2421 dome and 4500HD camera.

First Step: If the cameras are running under version 1.x , then upgrade all of them to 2

Second: Upgrade the VSMS servers to 6.3.2

Third: Issue the vscheck in order to upgrade the cameras from the VSMS.

Is this correct?

Do you know how much time is needed for the VSMS to be upgraded??

Thanking you

Hey there,

• If your 2421 cameras are already running firmware 2.x, then you don't need to upgrade them first.  If they are running 1.x firmware, then you should upgrade them first.  The latest firmware for them is 2.1.7 and the upgrade procedure from 1.x to 2.1.7 must be done using the Upgrade Utility.
  • The latest firmware for the 4500 camera is 2.3.0.
  • The vscheck command is run on the VSMS/VSOM server to confirm which VSM components are installed.  For example, VSVM may be installed even if it is not used.  To use the upgrade option of upgrade script, the 6.3.2 zip files for each currently installed component must be present for the upgrade to succeed.
  • As I stated, the actual VSOM/VSMS upgrade process using the script will only take approximately  5 to 15 minutes, depending on how many cameras are configured on the  media server.

Hope this helps clear things up.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Sean

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: