cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SPA525G with UC540 - caller id and called-name - phone display help needed

alltraders001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a UC540 with 18 SPA525G2 phones (4 deployed using VPN).

The phone call quality is great, even between Australia and Thailand.

Our first issue is that the display on the phones doesn't show the  callers name (when the caller is saved in the company directory or in  the phones directory). It only shows the callers phone number twice. I  can't find any way to get it to display the callers name if the callers  number is in our directory. Please help me with this if you can.

Our second issue is that we have multiple departments with multiple  incoming phone numbers coming into the system. Some of our phones  receive calls from multiple departments (multiple incoming numbers). In  order to answer the phone appropriately we need to see which of our  phone numbers (or corresponding department name) is being called. Cisco  advertised this feature with the UC500 series and it is called  "called-name". I have looked but cant find anyway to turn this on for  our phones. Can someone please help me with this?

As you could imagine, without these two advertised features working  on our system, we are having difficulty answering the phones the way we  would like.

I would appreciate any help you can offer.

Michael

40 Replies 40

David Trad
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Michael,

Lets tack the first one:

Our first issue is that the display on the phones doesn't show the  callers name (when the caller is saved in the company directory or in  the phones directory). It only shows the callers phone number twice. I  can't find any way to get it to display the callers name if the callers number is in our directory. Please help me with this if you can.

It would be good to see what is in the Directory listings, normally you can do this via Command Line and using the command "sh telephony-service" and you can remove all the stuff out of it and just show us the directory listing with the numbers removed or "x"ed out. I have a bad feeling that for the name it was issued with the number as well, which is not a good thing

OK second one:

Our second issue is that we have multiple departments with multiple  incoming phone numbers coming into the system. Some of our phones  receive calls from multiple departments (multiple incoming numbers). In order to answer the phone appropriately we need to see which of our  phone numbers (or corresponding department name) is being called. Cisco advertised this feature with the UC500 series and it is called  "called-name". I have looked but cant find anyway to turn this on for  our phones. Can someone please help me with this?

I have no idea what "Called-Named" is never heard of it and never seen it

However if I understood what you said correctly, you can do this via shared DN method, which is effectively a floating extension which you tag it with the name you want, and you direct the incoming call from a particular DID or Line or Port to point to that DN and you then assign it to all the phones you want it to be on (Hope this makes sense to you). Doing it this way you can see where the call is coming from and then know how to answer the call properly, however though it takes up valuable real estate such as buttons, and you need to assign overflows to them even if you make them octo-lines.

The above is one method, there are other ways you can do it, but this seems to be the most common one and also the easiest one to do, it is also supported by CCA which is the preferred method to configure such a call routing path with.

Anymore questions or if you need clarifications on something please ask

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David and thank you for your help.

I ran "sh telephony-service" and have attached the output. I couldn't see any phone numbers and names in the list. I also cannot see how to add them. I have added names and numbers using CUCME (configure - system parameters - directory services) and have added about 10 numbers but they dont show up anywhere else. I have also added names to the spa525G phones using the handsets themselves but this doesnt work either.

"called-name" is a documented UC500 series feature. I have attached some documents that I found that refer to it. I have put some links and other details about it below. Sorry about the formatting.

·        http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmedirs.html#wp1014562

·        https://cisco-support2.uat3.hosted.jivesoftware.com/search.jspa?peopleEnabled=true&userID=&containerType=&container=&q=Called-Name

·        http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucme/admin/configuration/guide/cmecover.html#wp1093567

·        http://uc500.com/en/altering-incoming-caller-id-based-trunk-group

Called-Name Display

When phone agents answer calls for several different departments or people, it is often helpful for them to see a display of the name, rather than the number, of the called party. For example, if order-entry agents are servicing three catalogs with individual 800 numbers configured in one overlay ephone-dn set, they need to know which catalog is being called to give the correct greeting, such as "Thank you for calling catalog N. May I take your order?" The called-name display feature can display either of the following types of name:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/i/templates/blank.gifName for a directory number in a local directory

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/i/templates/blank.gifName associated with an overlay directory number. Calls to the first directory number in a set of overlay numbers will display a caller ID. Calls to the remaining directory numbers in the overlay set will display the name associated with the directory number.

Our Setup:

Seven numbers all reach our phone system (DID numbers) and are for different departments or companies in our network. Departments D1,D2, D3, D4, D5, D6,D7, all with their own DID numbers are mapped to blast groups. Two of the Departments are in other companies that we own and run.  Users U1, U2, U3,... all belong to various blast groups. Some users belong to multiple departments and companies. eg: U1 may belong to D1, D3, D4 and these departments are also for different companies. We need the phones to show which department/blast group/DID number (or preferably, corresponding name) was used to call us so we can answer the call appropriately. Our current call-flow is incoming calls go to a blast group, then if unanswered go to a floating extensions voicemail with email notification.

Thank you very much for your help with this.

Hi David,

I just re-read your post and will try the method you have detailed to get the called-name.

Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Regarding caller-id

I have been reading more about CLI commands and have now run

show telephony-service directory-entry.

I have attached the output file which shows a number of directory entries. Please help me get this working.

Thank you,

Michael

Hi Michael,

We need to check and see if the following command is in your "telephony-service" configuration... "service dnis dir-lookup"

Can you please check this and let me know?

The config you provided should work as well

Cheers,

David.

Cheers, David Trad. **When you rate a persons post, you are indicating a thank you or that it helped, but at the same time you are also helping to maintain the community spirit - You don't have to rate posts and you wont be looked down upon :) *

Hi David,

I believe that it is configured. I have attached a more complete config file and the line you requested is on line 18.

Thank you for helping with this.

Michael

Hi Michael,

It is right about now where I say "I AM MIFFED"

Your configuration looks sound, and everything appears to be in place, this can only lead me to think that it can only be the following:

• The number being presented looks nothing like what is in the Directory listings, thus the look-up fails, but if this was done by CCA it should work, it could be something related to the translation rule/profile as well... Question to ask now I guess, is this a BRI or PSTN configuration?
  • Or the Firmware for the phones might have a bug and you were the first one to discover it

At this point I would encourage you to log an SBS case and have them debug/diagnose the issue, if it is a bug we need them to arrest it now before they release another maintenance version, if it is not a bug then at least they can find out the configuration miss-match that is causing the issue and it would be good to report that here.

Sorry I could not help with the rectification of this issue, but I reiterate, log a case the longer you dwell on it the more troublesome it gets for you

Cheers,

David.

Hi David,

thank you for your help. I have contacted Cisco and am trying to open a support case with them to address caller-id.

Can you please help further with the called-name/"shared dn" method? I am not certain that I have understood you correctly. I have done the following to test this:

1. I added a new blast group with ID 519 and added two test phones to it. The blast group works.
  2. I added a new floating extension with number 188, "Call forward all" to 519, "first name"/"last name"/"user id" all set to text values.
  3. I added a new DiD number to my system that is mapped to the internal number 188.

Phoning in on the new DiD number makes the blast group phone numbers ring but the display on the phones shows the two line display "From: 040xxxxxx and 040xxxxxx repeated on the next line. No names are showing.

Michael

Hi Michael,

Are you in Australia?

If so can you inbox me a number to call you on??

Cheers,

David.

Hi David/Michael,

I'm also having this same problem and it has me stumped - what was the trick to get it working?

Thanks,

Hi Tim,

I am unaware of any resolution to this problem, if it is not working for you in Software Pack 8.2 then you might need to do what we both have done and log a bug report on this, at least then it might get escalated up the ladder

Cheers,

David.

Hi Tim and David,

We have the latest Software pack installed and the latest firmware on our SPA525G2 phones. Cisco have a case open about this from us although they haven't resolved it. The latest CCA allows us to create a local directory but calling from a number in that directory does not show the directory listing. To date, no one at Cisco has been able to get caller-id working on our system in Australia. It is really disappointing as this should be part of the core functionality for the system and it is very important within commercial environments.

I hope Cisco do choose to resolve this soon.

Michael

Hi Michael I agree!

We're a recently appointed Telstra/Cisco partner and we have sold the system with this feature specifically included - every other phone system I can think of has it as standard!

100+ handsets 3x uc500 and I can assure you that if it doesn't work the system will be pulled out and given back to us.

Do you have an existing case number perhaps I can work from yours if techs have already done some research.

Sent from my iPhone

service dnis dir-lookup

That may not work with non-cisco, non-sccp phones. SPA phones are Linksys not Cisco.

There are however other advanced techniques that can be used.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: