Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting MS Lync to CUCM 7.1.3

richard.grey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

My company has a CUCM cluster and a small MS Lync implementation (with IP Phones), CUCM controll access to the PSTN and MS Lync also needs access to the PSTN and to be able to communicate with Cisco IP Phones.  What is the best way to establish the connection from CUCM to Lync?

Direct SIP Trunk between CUCM and Lync?

CUBE to CUCM and Lync?

I am leaning towards CUBE because all the Cisco documents I read suggest CUBE, however the MS folks are suggesting direct SIP Trunk.  Are there any Pros, Cons, for either.

Thanks

Rich

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

Richard,

I worked on a case between CUCM and Lync a few weeks back. We just did a direct SIP trunk between CUCM and Lync and it worked flawlessly. Well after some troubleshooting I should say, but we got it to work.

A few things I would point out.

Unless you really need CUBE, you should try to keep things simple. Don't add another point of failure, and more complexity to the topology than needed. You will no longer prone to CUCM bugs, but CUBE bugs as well, and troubleshooting will be more combersone.

Keep in mind placing a CUBE in between is a single point of failure, you could build redundancy around this, but with a direct SIP trunk is much easier.

As well on my implementation, TLS was a must. The customer said Lync only supported TLS connections ( not sure if this is true ) so that would be another thing to consider, your CUBE config should suppport TLS.

I would just try to keep it simple, and if you can set it as a direct SIP trunk to CUCM that would be the way to go.

Cheers,

View solution in original post

I'm running CUCM 7.1.5 and Lync 2010.

Have tried for three days to configure the sip or direct sip between the two with no luck.

I have opened a Cisco Tac case, the tech checked all the settings on the sip pulled some logs and still no good.

I have researched online and read dozens of docs with different config on both ends but still no communication.

I am wondering if any of you guys have a step by step doc to share.

Our Lync is up and running with IM, we are not using phones on the MS, so I only need to be able to dial and make calls from the Lync client to the Cisco phones.

Please let me know if you have a good doc/ideas to share.

Thanks,

Zeek

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Robert Thomas
Level 7
Level 7

Richard,

I worked on a case between CUCM and Lync a few weeks back. We just did a direct SIP trunk between CUCM and Lync and it worked flawlessly. Well after some troubleshooting I should say, but we got it to work.

A few things I would point out.

Unless you really need CUBE, you should try to keep things simple. Don't add another point of failure, and more complexity to the topology than needed. You will no longer prone to CUCM bugs, but CUBE bugs as well, and troubleshooting will be more combersone.

Keep in mind placing a CUBE in between is a single point of failure, you could build redundancy around this, but with a direct SIP trunk is much easier.

As well on my implementation, TLS was a must. The customer said Lync only supported TLS connections ( not sure if this is true ) so that would be another thing to consider, your CUBE config should suppport TLS.

I would just try to keep it simple, and if you can set it as a direct SIP trunk to CUCM that would be the way to go.

Cheers,

I'm running CUCM 7.1.5 and Lync 2010.

Have tried for three days to configure the sip or direct sip between the two with no luck.

I have opened a Cisco Tac case, the tech checked all the settings on the sip pulled some logs and still no good.

I have researched online and read dozens of docs with different config on both ends but still no communication.

I am wondering if any of you guys have a step by step doc to share.

Our Lync is up and running with IM, we are not using phones on the MS, so I only need to be able to dial and make calls from the Lync client to the Cisco phones.

Please let me know if you have a good doc/ideas to share.

Thanks,

Zeek

Hi Zeek

I am attaching a document, see if it is useful for you.

HTH

Tapan

Hi ,

Thanks for the excellent step to step guide.

We have CUCM 7.1.5 and Lync 2010 in place.

We have followed the guide, however there are some options are missing in the my present CUCM (version 7.1.5).

"Early Offer Support for voice and video calls (insert MTP if needed)" and "SIP Profile Information, the SDP Session-level Bandwidth Modifier for Early Offer and Re-invites" ,

At present my able to make and receive Voice Calls from and to Lync and Cisco IP Phone ; But our POC is for Video Call from 9971 Phone to Lync and vice versa , which is not happening.

Please share your experiance whether Video call is supported with CUCM 7.1.5 Integration with Lync 2010.

Please share some URLs and documentation as well.

Any clue is appreciated.

Many Thanks!

Manish

Thanks!!

To give you guys an update we ended up getting rid of Lync

peter.huboi
Level 1
Level 1

The Polycom RealPresence Platform has a simple way to connect Cisco environments (including Cisco CTS running TIP) with Microsoft Lync through SIP trunks. Users meet in virtual meeting rooms (VMRs). The setup is described here in the Polycom RMX v7.7 release notes

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: