Views
Helpful
Replies

set 512mb for mail server on cisco router

malai.joseph
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

pls help,i have a mail server with ip address 192.168.4.5/26 and WAN 196.46.83.x/28 and i want the mail server to have 512MB dedicated,i have 2Gbps from ISP what should be done on router so as external user access mail server and should not open slowly?help on router conf with mail server ip given to have 512mb

Joseph

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Joseph,

You need to have vlan for your mail server so that you can allocate particular bandwidth to that vlan.

Please follow the below config in order to allocate bandwidth to vlan interface.

Policy a specific VLAN number on VLAN interface.

class-map vlan5
match vlan 5
match class-map class-default

policy-map vlan5-limit
class vlan5
police 2000000 250000 exceed-action drop

int vlan5
service-policy input vlan5-limit

After you apply this configuration, the traffic with VLAN 5 coming from any will be policed at 2Mbps.

Please rate the all helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

ok lets se if i understand you correct.

you have a mailserver

you want people from the outside to access that mailserver over the internet.

and you want to setup the link so that the mailsystem always gets atleast 512Mbps.

at times when the mailsystem does not use the 512Mb you want the rest of the link to be able to use that data too.

since the users are accessing the from the outside you can not setup how the link behaves.

call your isp and ask them to shape the traffic the way you want it.

you can help out with setting up limits and quality of service from the different lans that they do not take more than 1,5Gbps total bandwith of the internet link.

Good luck

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Joseph,

You need to have vlan for your mail server so that you can allocate particular bandwidth to that vlan.

Please follow the below config in order to allocate bandwidth to vlan interface.

Policy a specific VLAN number on VLAN interface.

class-map vlan5
match vlan 5
match class-map class-default

policy-map vlan5-limit
class vlan5
police 2000000 250000 exceed-action drop

int vlan5
service-policy input vlan5-limit

After you apply this configuration, the traffic with VLAN 5 coming from any will be policed at 2Mbps.

Please rate the all helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

hobbe
Level 7
Level 7

ok lets se if i understand you correct.

you have a mailserver

you want people from the outside to access that mailserver over the internet.

and you want to setup the link so that the mailsystem always gets atleast 512Mbps.

at times when the mailsystem does not use the 512Mb you want the rest of the link to be able to use that data too.

since the users are accessing the from the outside you can not setup how the link behaves.

call your isp and ask them to shape the traffic the way you want it.

you can help out with setting up limits and quality of service from the different lans that they do not take more than 1,5Gbps total bandwith of the internet link.

Good luck

HTH

Thanks THT for your help

Thank you for the rating!

I feel I need to clarify why the isp needs to do this since it is not realy clear in my old post.

Its because when the traffic from the outside users hits your router it has already traversed the link so it is to late to shape it in your end.

Good luck

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: